Volunteers Needed - Edmonds UW Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This is a standing invitation to come join the work crew and help build the Park. Experienced divers, who want to give something back to the sport they love, are needed. A wide variety of activities takes place every Saturday: placing rope trails, using lift drums to move rocks, anchors, and blocks, lingcod nesting surveys, sinking the occasional boat, etc. All these activities help to build and or maintain the park. Meet at the Edmonds Underwater Sports store at 9:00 AM. The Edmonds UW Sports Store donates free airfills to the Park volunteers. Come on down, it's a kick learning to do useful work underwater!

You guys missed a great project a few weeks ago. We finally moved a huge rock which has frustrated us in the past. We attached (12) 55 gallon lift drums and a 2, 000 lb lift bag to it , that's roughly 8,000 lbs of lift! We were able to lift the rock to the surface and the three of us applied fin power to move it out across the park to the reef ball area. We have been placing rock piles in the park out by glacier way and Happy trails. We have moved many tons of rocks since mid December, and the lings and cabbies have already moved in to claim their territory. This was an intertidal rock which was buried so that only a small portion of it was exposed above the sand. We had no idea just how big it was when we started... Need to develop some underwater skills? Come join us and learn.

JDR:
You guys missed a great project a few weeks ago. We finally moved a huge rock which has frustrated us in the past. We attached (12) 55 gallon lift drums and a 2, 000 lb lift bag to it , that's roughly 8,000 lbs of lift! We were able to lift the rock to the surface and the three of us applied fin power to move it out across the park to the reef ball area. We have been placing rock piles in the park out by glacier way and Happy trails. We have moved many tons of rocks since mid December, and the lings and cabbies have already moved in to claim their territory. This was an intertidal rock which was buried so that only a small portion of it was exposed above the sand. We had no idea just how big it was when we started... Need to develop some underwater skills? Come join us and learn.

Sounds very interesting. I have an abundance of time on my hands and would be happy to help out. However I work on weekends and am available only Monday through Thursday. Is there work to be done midweek?

kungfu-enigma:
Sounds very interesting. I have an abundance of time on my hands and would be happy to help out. However I work on weekends and am available only Monday through Thursday. Is there work to be done midweek?

I'll talk to Bruce Saturday and see what is available, there is always a lot of work which needs to be done on the park. By the way if anyone is available Saturday at 9, we will be meeting at the usual place, the Edmonds UW Sports store. We will work out a plan for the day's activities, get airfills (generously donated by the Edmonds UW sports store) and then go diving. Bruce is very consistent, he typically meets there every weekend, year after year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom