Volunteer divers and employed divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Baltimore Aquarium definitely does this. I believe the aquarium in VA Beach also has this policy.

At NYA, yes. It depended on which exhibits the diver is moving between, though. There was one exhibit where we were required to simply shower ourselves thoroughly (we dived it using a hookah system provided by the aquarium, so there was nothing to scrub except outselves) before changing tanks. For some others, we might be required to strip off and soak all the gear we were wearing (we were required to use our own) before repositioning ourselves to the next tank.

Last edited:
The people were/are so wonderful there. Such dedicated folk - to the oceans and waterways, to the animals, and to each other. Christmas, holidays, whatever...the paid staff are there at the crack of dawn to tend the animals, and fuss over them as if they're their own children.

Agreed> The biologists at my aquarium stay around the clock if an animal needs that sort of attention. If there is a major storm then people sleep over so someone will be there in the morning to tend to them even if the public is locked out.

I don't know how much everybody makes but they start at like 25k, and you need a degree.

I know volunteers who have dived around the clock in support as well. A very dedicated group of people.

Question: Do aquariums require their volunteers to use "aquarium tank only" gear to minimize the possibility of introducing some type of contaminant or undesired species from the open ocean?

Nope I use my own. :)

Agreed> The biologists at my aquarium stay around the clock if an animal needs that sort of attention. If there is a major storm then people sleep over so someone will be there in the morning to tend to them even if the public is locked out.

I don't know how much everybody makes but they start at like 25k, and you need a degree.

I know volunteers who have dived around the clock in support as well. A very dedicated group of people.

Right - I don't know anyone at the aquarium who does it for the money or the spare time. It's all the more amazing when you think about how high student loans in this country can be compared to their salaries - especially in this era of budget freezes or outright cuts. The fact that the keepers continue showing up faithfully for work every day speaks volumes about their character and committment. Such much hard (and occasionally smelly, noisy and often exhausting) labor goes into tending the animals and keeping their exhibits ship-shape...labor that visitors to the aquarium never see or even dream about, but that the keepers and some hard-core volunteers tirelessly deliver. I'm so proud to know those folks.

I think in part its a lot of my reasoning for doing it. Even when I dont dive I try to make an appearance at the aquarium to show case the animals to children and explain the wonders of the deep to them.

While it is valid people say we should not lock up animals it is is also valid people get to see first hand how animals are in the wild and how they are not the beast Jaws portrayed. Like I explain to all kids and adults alike when showcasing the sharks. They are no diffrent then any animal in the wild. Consider them kind of like wolves. People always fear wolves yet just like the shark 98 percent of the time you see one and he sees you then he runs off from you.

I wish every one understood that just because animals look bored out of their mind it does not mean they themselves dont appreciate interaction. Just watch them when we feed them LOL Kind of like being in the ring with Mike Tyson and you got to watch out or they will KO you. LOL

Not yet, but this is specifically why I'm looking at AOW classes. The National Aquarium, in Baltimore has a 30 dive and AOW requirement for being a volunteer diver. I've always really enjoyed the Aquarium and would Love to have the opportunity to give back and at the same time teach my kids and others more about the ocean and conservation of our natural resources. It's a weekly, full-day, (mid-week) commitment so that makes it more difficult but it's worth it, I think.

Honestly, without this impetus I would never pursue an AOW course.

We also have a lot of local research going on that my local dive shop hooked me up with. I haven't gone on any of the dives, yet, but I keep hoping to be able to in the future. They do side-scan sonar searches, historic wreck mapping, plant and fish life cataloging and similar type of research.

It is a bi-weekly commitment.

The exact wording is you need to commit to coming to 20 of the 26 possible dive day throughout the year.

Also, shifts are not necessarily only available during the weekdays. There are 14 teams. There are two Sunday shifts and two Saturday shifts. My buddy made a Saturday team in the last cycle.

Question: Do aquariums require their volunteers to use "aquarium tank only" gear to minimize the possibility of introducing some type of contaminant or undesired species from the open ocean?

I speculate that varies based upon the individual aquarium.

At NAIB, the aquarium provides gloves, tanks, weights, BCD and a regulators. We provide mask, fins, booties and wetsuit.

We are allowed to bring in our own reg as long as we provide proof of maintenance.

I know of one guy who dives his own BC and I don't know if they have any special requirements for him to do that.

We have talked about introducing contaminates from outside the system, but the aquarists are not that worried.

Odd I got an update email saying there was a post just placed in here but its no where to be found??? Interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom