Voltage Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've a 24W HID Green Force light head (2500 lumens).

I've two GF canisters, one operates at 12V and the other at 14.4V. Both are 4.5ah. And both canisters can be used to burn the 24W light head, though GF made the 14.4V canister specifically for burning the higher wattage HID lights (and also squids).

My question is: What are the speicifc advantages of burning the light at 14.4V? Does the light burn brighter at 14.4V? Brighter longer? What are the implications for burn times of burning at 14.4V vs 12V?

Many thanks!

My question is: What are the speicifc advantages of burning the light at 14.4V? Does the light burn brighter at 14.4V? Brighter longer? What are the implications for burn times of burning at 14.4V vs 12V?

I have too 14.4 battery pack with NiMH.

Does the light burn brighter at 14.4V?
actualy not because DC/DC converter (ballast) converts in your case from 10V-18Vmax in operating voltage which is in your case 65V DC (switching)

Brighter longer?
possible because your battery pack have bigger capacity product = Voltage x Current x time . DC/DC converts voltage to higher , current on lower and time on longer , but DC /DC also needs some little capacity for itself.

In every case Wh battery = W(light) x h (burning time ) x ( extra consumption (, temp , resistance ,DC/DC ) )

and bigger is number on left side longer dive you can made ... that is advantage

Back
Top Bottom