Volo race

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

big-al

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,normally dive the mares volo strap fins in the drysuit,like them alot,was wondering how the full footed race volos compare to the volo strap fins.Are they as well built.How is the sizing on them,can take anywhere from a 10 to a 13 in a shoe depending on where built,not sure of the European sizing.Bought a pair of competitors full foot fins awhile ago and there was no comparison to there strap fins with the same name.

I can only assume full foots will be slower and less ideal for scuba. Its usually always the case. You bring up a good question and I'm staying tuned for the answers you get because I've always wondered this myself.

ScubaSarus:
I can only assume full foots will be slower and less ideal for scuba. Its usually always the case. You bring up a good question and I'm staying tuned for the answers you get because I've always wondered this myself.

I would have to disagree. Most documented reviews and users say that the full foot versions of a given fin style are faster. Since the FF fin fully ecompasses and grips the foot, and less mass/lighter, there is better thrust and thus a "faster" fin. I haven't tried the Volos, but switched from the Quattro OH to FF fin and really enjoy them. I know most people dive OH fins, but there are definite benefits to FF too. They are SO much easier to don/doff, and to me, more comfortable, they're cheaper, and lighter. I work/teach in a warm resort and only do boat diving, so they're good for that profile.

In reality it probably doesn't matter since nobody is racing when they dive. In regards to the original thread question, I don't know how the sizing would be, though the Quattros are very true to size for me.

I'm interested in the Volo Race too, so I'd like to see what others say.

Tim

big-al:
Hi,normally dive the mares volo strap fins in the drysuit,like them alot,was wondering how the full footed race volos compare to the volo strap fins.Are they as well built.How is the sizing on them,can take anywhere from a 10 to a 13 in a shoe depending on where built,not sure of the European sizing.Bought a pair of competitors full foot fins awhile ago and there was no comparison to there strap fins with the same name.

Just got a pair for my birthday this year. Love them for warm water boat dives. You need to try them on to get sizing. I have 8.5 US / 42 Euro feet but bought the size 6.5 / 7.5 which is like 40 Euro. The next size up was too large and slipped off my foot.

As I understand it, the test is to put the full foot fin on with whatever you plan to where on your foot (eg. lycra sock or skin) and see if you can "step out" of them. Basically see if your heel comes out of the fin. I don't where a lycra sock so without anything the 6.5 / 7.5 fins didn't slip... the next size up did.

So what else have I learned with full foots? Getting them off in the water before climbing the ladder can be interesting in rougher seas. The ladder and deck can be *hot* but you can generally deal with it. Also they aren't great for shore dives in rocky areas (just learned that the hard way in Mexico - but I managed ok).

Would I go back to booties and fins for warm water....? probably not... full foots are just so nice and easy for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom