Vivid colors with housed Nikon D70 vs Nikonos V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA:
He was using a 15mm and 20mm lens. The depth of field of a 15mm lens is huge.
It is this 15mm lens that makes the Nikonos worth having. The N70 would need to be using the 10mm fisheye to get as wide a field. In fact I don't think it is possible to make a lens that wide for any SLR camera. The mirror box has some thickness or depth and makes it so that the lens mount is an inch or so in from of the image plane. So A range finder camera can have a shorter focal length lens. As for exposure, Of course it could have been off butthe Nikonos has a built-in meter

As for shooting through more water, maybe with a 15mm lens the subject were likely panoramic

Still, I'd bet the guys with the N70 post processed the images or set the camera to "vivid color".

"The depth of field of a 15mm lens is huge." How huge??? Because it all depends on the aperture opening, the higher the number the greater the depth of field. But then it does not matter because there is really only one point of perfect focus the depth of field is only an "acceptable" focus and in a wide angle lens this is harder to notice.

"As for exposure, Of course it could have been off butthe Nikonos has a built-in meter."???

If the exposures were over or under exposed the colors will be washed out or just plain dull thats a fact. Meter or no meter there is no guarantee thats why we bracket, but with only 36 shots not that much.

"As for shooting through more water, maybe with a 15mm lens the subject were likely panoramic" ???

My point is that with a Nikonos one is guessing on the distance and cannot come close to the focusing of an SLR.

I think the 15mm is a great lens its just the Nikonos body thats limited.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=146210&page=3

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=146210&page=3

actually the FOV on a 15mm on Nikonos is equivalent to about a 20mm on a film SLR or about adding fisheye 16mm on Nikon DSLR (which is no longer a fisheye...)

The 10.5mm is a fisheye and much wider than the 15mm on Nikonos

Were gettin off topic here guys. The issue is color saturation and vividness of slide vs digital in some specific equipment & film choices. Nothing to do with sharpness & depth of field.

But more importantly, he just posted a qualification that he only compared digital scans done by the processing lab to the digital capture from the other photographers.
He did not actually compare the slides on a calibrated color balanced light table.

So now we are comparing scanned slides to digital capture? So many variables in here you could write a book.

In my experience, slides can be extremely saturated when there is sufficient light, from ambient and flash sources. But I would suspect if the light was less than perfect, a little cold, a little dull, you could see improved results with a properly white balanced digital capture. In both cases you can punch up the color and contrast in photoshop. If the end use is prints or digtal content you can probably get there either way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom