Visual Reference - Does it matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
Making a slow ascent in a really fast current with no visual reference is kind of freaky and neat at the same time. Screamin' along 75 feet above the reef. It's almost like flying.
it is as close to flying as we will get, unless we get some wings :wink: :bic:

Three simple things will get you by just fine. Xaler, watch your gauges and pay attention to your ears. :wink:

Gary D.

The Atlantic Ocean is a big place. Thirty miles offshore. I use a reference.

The first time I dove really low vis, it freaked me out not having a vis reference, but I learned that trusting your gauges is paramount. With practice you will be fine, just keep diving!

One thing I guess you could try and do if it becomes a problem is take a lift bag and line with you, or for that matter a marker and line. I have only done this once, just having to take a marker with me. This does get into task loading though with managing the line on your dive, but it could be good practice and would give you something to focus on.

Shannon I am curious, why don't you have a compass? I am not picking just wondering.

After reading some of the posts above and remembering the dives I made in an Ohio quarry to get my certification, my decision to only dive in the clear waters of the ocean where I can see where I am going and where I have been, along with what's up and what's down, no matter what the cost, is strongly reinforced.

The compass is on it's way. It was my last piece of stuff. Don't know why, but that's just how it happened. Well, it might make it before my replacement dive computer (got water in it on it's first dive out of the box it came it). I borrowed a stand alone compass a few times, but that bugged me so i wanted to get one that fit in my console, which proved to be a pain for various reasons or another.

Fortunately, I can use natural navigation in the quarry (for the most part) since I go just about every weekend. Haven't had to do a long surface swim yet, but the quarry isn't all that big.

Definately will have one come Jamaica in two weeks whether I have to beg, borrow or steal one. :wink:

--Shannon

sberanek:
The compass is on it's way.

Low vis quarries and lakes are prime locations to practice compass skills.

A very small error in compass reading will produce a HUGE error over the course of 200 feet or so.

When the visibility is good, somehow my 'compass navigation' is very easy and accurate! But with 6 inches vis, my compass seems to make a lot of 'errors'.:D

:coffee:

tonka97:
A very small error in compass reading will produce a HUGE error over the course of 200 feet or so.

When the visibility is good, somehow my 'compass navigation' is very easy and accurate! But with 6 inches vis, my compass seems to make a lot of 'errors'.:D

:coffee:
So will getting ^^ confused with ^.

Did that one time and ended up with an M-80 going off within 5' of my mask. :11: It made a big enough impression that it has never happened again. I also got a new mask out of the deal.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom