Visual inspection question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheatondiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I purchased four used steel 72's from LDS. Two in December and two in April. One of the tanks purchased in December has a visual inpection that expires in August and the other expires in October. Can I drop the August one off in late August to try to get a September expiration so I can eventually get those two on the same cycle? Or should I just drop it off at any time in August and not worry about getting the tanks on the same cycle?

It makes life easier if you have two tanks expire at the same time. Then again if you screw up and forget then you might get a surprise when you go to get a fill. Some LDS will allow you to use that entire month up before getting the VIP. Some will say that it is due the first part of the month.

The accepted standard (via PSI who I am certified through) is that the VIP is good through the end of the month. As for getting the cylinders all on the same VIP time frame, do whatever makes you happy.

The VIP is the same as the hydro test, it expires at the end of the month. It makes sense if you think about it as if you bring it in for a vip and it gets done on the 30th of June, you still get a full year rather than 11 months.

As for getting two tanks in sync, bring the August tank in on 9-1 this year and on 10-1 next year. It has the advantage of stepping the tanks closer to the off season where it does not really matter.

i have all of my tanks vip in sync. on the hydro, i took them in to get filled before heading off to lake and man told me i had to have one of them hydro'd. he said it was within six months of hydro and couldnt be filled until it had been done.

Vips are cheep. why not just get the october tank done in august when the other tank needs to be done. Where I live Vips are $15. That only comes to a little over $1 a month. So you are only loosing about $2 by getting it done early.

on the hydro, i took them in to get filled before heading off to lake and man told me i had to have one of them hydro'd. he said it was within six months of hydro and couldnt be filled until it had been done.
Not aware of the basis for a shop to make such a statement. Any other explanation offered by the person who said they couldn't be filled??

6 months of remaining time on the hydro means exactly that - it can legally be filled for another 6 months and there is no justification for saying it cannot be filled as it is within 6 months of the exp[iration date for the hydro test. It could even be VIP'd, the VIP just would not be any good once the hydro test expires in 6 months.

If a shop does something like that to me, I tend to find another shop.

Are you sure about this? I have argued this point many times, with various PSI luminaries at the PSI stand at DEMA, and they always insist that it expires on the first day of the month, since otherwise, by skillful manipulation of when the test was performed, someone might (horrors!) squeeze 12 months and 30 days out of an inspection. Fortunately, most shops take a more logical view, and consider it to expire on the last day , as do vehicle registrations and inspections, aircraft inspections, and hydros.

The accepted standard (via PSI who I am certified through) is that the VIP is good through the end of the month. As for getting the cylinders all on the same VIP time frame, do whatever makes you happy.

While your logic is impeccable, it is always dangerous to make authoritive statements about visuals, since they have no legal standing, and hence there is no "right" way to do them, which means no absolute statements can be made about them. Sort of like the rules for croquest. I personally think the "you ought to be able to get the tanks inspected on the same day every year, and have them in inspection the full year" arguement is a pretty conclusive one, and it would be nice if PSI came around.

The VIP is the same as the hydro test, it expires at the end of the month. It makes sense if you think about it as if you bring it in for a vip and it gets done on the 30th of June, you still get a full year rather than 11 months.

I'm just looking at my FSO notes.

"Evidence Of Inspection Sticker" - must be within 1 year - expires on first day of month - no exceptions.

Think about it: err on the side of caution.

If you get your vis done on the last day of the month, your sticker is good for 11 months, not nearly 13. The sticker is only good for one year.

Hydrostatic test date: must be within 5 years - expires on forst day of month.

Note that it expires on the FIRST DAY OF THE MONTH, not 6months before the month.

Back
Top Bottom