Question Visual Inspection Expiration Date

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kensei

Master Fin Sharpener
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If a tank was visually inspected on say June 15th and passed, does this visual inspection expire on June 1st or June 30th of the following year according to the rules?

last day of month that is punched out on the sticker

That would mean that the VCI is valid for 13 months which isn't the case. The VCI expires at the beginning of the month and the end of the prior month.

That would mean that the VCI is valid for 13 months which isn't the case. The VCI expires at the beginning of the month and the end of the prior month.

Nope. The VIP is good through the end of the month punched on the sticker. Yes, if you time it right, you can get 13 months out of a VIP. So what? That's just good planning.

As I understand it, the VCI suggestions are not based on any law, but have become an accepted unofficial practice in the Scuba business. Anybody can do what they want with them with impunity.
Michael

Correct. The VCI program is not law, rather it is an attempt by the scuba industry to self-regulate. Hydro every 5 years is the law. Many who have their own compressor and fill their own tanks exclusively don't hassle with an annual VIP.

Every shop I've ever used for fills in 15+ years will fill a tank up through the end of the month on the VIP sticker on the tank. Assuming of course the Hydro date is not sooner. They should be checking both.

I have been an inspector since the mid 80's and the sticker expires in 12 months, the end of the month prior to the month of the inspection.

There are no laws governing the VCI in the US, you can do whatever you want and who you choose to do the inspection for you and what they are willing to do. I do what I believe is right and what is according to standards using logic and common sense to ME.

I have been an inspector since the mid 80's and the sticker expires in 12 months, the end of the month prior to the month of the inspection.

There are no laws governing the VCI in the US, you can do whatever you want and who you choose to do the inspection for you and what they are willing to do. I do what I believe is right and what is according to standards using logic and common sense to ME.

12 months ... 12 months and 2 weeks ... 12 months a 3 weeks ... or 13 months. It's really irrelevant and an "extra" week or two isn't a safety issue.

In practice, inspectors will sticker the tank with the month/date that the tank is being inspected. Fill operators will then fill that tank through the end of the month 1 year from the sticker date. That is how it works in practice which is what the OP asked.

Has anyone EVER had their tank not filled if the VIP is due THAT MONTH? Let's say you go to get a fill today (10/29/21) your sticker is punched 10/2020. Any shop I've ever used will fill that tank. Most will let me know the VIP expires shortly. Next week they wouldn't fill that tank. They would require a new VIP first.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone has had a different experience.

The VCI program is not law, rather it is an attempt by the scuba industry to self-regulate tax.

It's 2021, with the advent of the internet (people spreading the word very quickly about "issues" at a lds), and the age of compressors filling with "bad" gas pretty much over, this is a tax. I get at one time it was needed, now it's just a tax.

I know some will disagree :poke::gas::D

12 months ... 12 months and 2 weeks ... 12 months a 3 weeks ... or 13 months. It's really irrelevant and an "extra" week or two isn't a safety issue.

In practice, inspectors will sticker the tank with the month/date that the tank is being inspected. Fill operators will then fill that tank through the end of the month 1 year from the sticker date. That is how it works in practice which is what the OP asked.

Has anyone EVER had their tank not filled if the VIP is due THAT MONTH? Let's say you go to get a fill today (10/29/21) your sticker is punched 10/2020. Any shop I've ever used will fill that tank. Most will let me know the VIP expires shortly. Next week they wouldn't fill that tank. They would require a new VIP first.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone has had a different experience.

Most shops that I'ved gone into even if it was out by a month or 2 have still filled... it just comes along with the mandatory "your VIP is out of date, I can fill it this time, but you'll need to get it done for the next fill. We charge ~ $XX btw."....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom