VISTA Compatibility - Atom 1.0, VT3, VT Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My buddy has an Oceanic Atom 1.0 dive computer.

I have an order in with Scuba Toys for an Oceanic VT3 & a VT Pro.

I'm concerned that the Atom 1.0 isn't listed as compatible with the Oceanlog version 2 software at Oceanic's web site, which concerns me greatly since I see no reason to to have the software not support it unless the intent is to deliberately orphan the product, pressurings users to upgrade.

Perhaps there's more going on that would alleviate this concern; if so, I'd love to hear it!

That said, I'm hoping to upgrade my computer's operating system to VISTA Home Premium.

Does anybody know if Oceanlog version 1 works under VISTA? What about the Atom 1.0's connection to download to the computer?

Are Atom 1.0 owners supported under VISTA?

Thanks!

Richard.

I don't think any manufactures are ready for VISTA yet. You need to wait for a couple days or weeks to find out its compatibility. Do you think MS gave out their test/beta version to the scuba manufactures in advance?

hoosier:
I don't think any manufactures are ready for VISTA yet. You need to wait for a couple days or weeks to find out its compatibility. Do you think MS gave out their test/beta version to the scuba manufactures in advance?
Good luck. Wait for SR2 for Vista. A couple of days???????????? A couple of weeks???????????????????????????????????????????

You know what! I can get the VISTA professional version from the office without any charge, but any computers that I have can't take the new OS, VISTA....:rofl3:

I plan to waif for at least 6 month.

hoosier:
You know what! I can get the VISTA professional version from the office without any charge, but any computers that I have can't take the new OS, VISTA....:rofl3:

I plan to waif for at least 6 month.

LOL! Aint that the truth! 1GB min RAM is required to run the bloody thing....:rofl3:

1GB is a min....... 2GB is mostly recommended. I can see that the office workstations will be replaced soon. LOL~~~~

I have vista home premium edition with 1 gig of ram in my new laptop for $800.00 from circuit city. Ocean log boots and works great didnt have trouble with the software or the drivers for the data cable. Im using the veo 250. Vista is worth the price if you are an entertainment junkie so needless to say all i do is type docs and check email. HA

Oceanlog 2.12 for me, and it works fine. I don't know about Version 1 however, I suspect it will work because so far almost every piece of software I've installed worked.

Drivers on the other hand have been an issue, a webcam I use for astrophotography which is a SPC900NC is incompatible with Vista. Even though it's brand new Phillips will not support it and say they have no intentions of writing new drivers. It's their only CCD based webcam to boot, the others are CMOS. Slightly off topic but it shows that drivers are the real issue.

I suspect the USB drivers used here though are fine since they're used on some older products as well, gut feeling is it will work.

hoosier:

The short answer to your question is yes. The Vista beta was available for public download. There is no reason why dive computer manufacturers could not have had their software ready for Vista other than the fact they chose not to allocate the resources to do so.

In this case Microsoft is the wrong party to blame.

The testing of the PC software leaves a lot to be desired. I make these comments based on over 30 years of software development experience.

I have even volunteered my services for free to beta test the software for Oceanic/Aeris. My reason for doing so is simple. Bugs will be caught before the customer tries to use the software.

This is my way of giving back to the diving community. So far I have not been taken up on my beta testing offer.

Maybe Doug will take me up on my offer for the next release. Beta testing cannot be a done just a few days before product release.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom