Visitor to Nanaimo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ketil

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

I'm a diver from Norway, Europe who is wisiting Nanaimo in March. What are the MUST SE spots in the area? With all the local knowlede in this forum I'm hoping to get a "top 10 list" for my trip.

We are two divers traveling, and we both have advanced skills and experience from cold low viz waters from home (last weekend we had to change dive site because of ice, and yesterday we had no ice but 10 feet viz...).

Ketil

Just locally I would want to get a dive in at Dodd's Narrows then the three local wrecks. If you add some travel Quadra Island would be first on the list, then Port Hardy out to Browning Pass. Down to Victoria my list would include Race Rocks, and Ogden Point breakwater.

I am sure others will add some more spots, there are lots!

Nanaimo: hit the usual spots, the wrecks, Jessie Island, Clarke Rock, Dod Narrows, Snake Island..

if you can head north, there is some spectacular diving out of Campbell River, Port McNeil, and Port Hardy.

I can recommend Divers Choice Charters as a local dive charter here in Nanaimo who can show you all the local boat dives including Dodd Narrows and the wrecks off Snake Island. Also, if you want to stop in at Nanaimo Dive Outfitters, they can help you out with equipment and provide you with local shore diving maps - there are some great walls and reefs within 1/2 hr drive from Nanaimo that will provide you with views of giant octopus and wolf eels.

Browning Pass Hideaway is a great place if you are looking at diving that area. Contact Pacific Pro Dive in Campbell River for some great drift diving and some wrecks up in that area.

Hi Cooldives.

We are looking at doing the dives in the Nanaimo area.

Ketil

Some of the main attractions are the wrecks Cape Breton and Saskatchewan. Some of the other favourites are Clark Rock (for wolf eels) Snake Island (for seals and invertebrates) and Orelbar which is a beautiful wall dive.
I would recommend Divers Choice Charters
I will be diving with them a few times in March. We may run into each other

For shore diving in Nanaimo area try Madrona Point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom