Visiting NY in June...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmani

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I am going to be visitint NY for 5 days in mid-june. I will actually be taking my wife (She is a drama teacher) to see 3 shows on or about Broadway. I thought (what is the married guy doing thinking for himself?) I had the trip pretty well planned. Well she told me yesterday she has a former student going to school in NY and would like to fit a matinee with her. Well I like to think of myself as a well cultured man, and I enjoy theatre, but 4 shows in 3 days is a little much for me.

Long story short (too late!) I find myself with a free day. Is there any dive operators or sites convient to midtown that would get me back to shore for dinner and a 8:00 show?

Thanks for all the help from tha CA diver headed to your city!

John

If you are staying on the west side, try Pan Aqua on w 43rd @800-434-0884. I've never gone with them, but I'm pretty sure they organize ground transportation which is always the pain-in-the-*** part around here. Broadway schmodway, go diving.

I have gone out with Pan Aqua but only to Dutch Springs, a somewhat local Quarry in PA about 1.5 hrs away. Not really worth a day trip while you are visiting from CA. Your best bet is to post asking for local ops. Some go out of Brooklyn, Jersey, and The Bronx but like evad said, getting to them is a hassle. Gear rental is also an issue here as many of the boats don't rent gear. What you really get is dive shops and some dive boats/ops and those two usually aren't the same company like you might find in The Keys. Local boat diving is done here, but isn't nearly as plentiful as boat diving in CA. You may also have trouble finding an op that will take you out around here, assuming that your dive count of 16-50 is correct, but you should be just fine considering you have your aow and dry suit certs. I have dove here and in CA and can report that while calm days happen here, they are far and few between. Expect darker and sometimes deeper and heavier current than in Cally. Ofcourse that depends on exactly where in Cally you have been diving, lol.

When I go to CA, I do go out of my way to dive, but it's worth it. Man I love it there!

Now if you had enough time to head up to Cape Ann, then I would say it was worth lugging gear and going diving. Cape Ann is alot like CA diving but it's also about 5+ hrs away by car. Frankly, the diving around here stinks unless you like it deep and dark and even colder than CA. Just close your eyes in the shower in your hotel and only turn the cold water on and you will save yourself time and money. Keep in mind that I may just be over it all and miss Cozumel too much. :D Good luck and have a great trip! My suggestion is to just see the shows and skip the diving.

scubadobadoo:
I have gone out with Pan Aqua but only to Dutch Springs, a somewhat local Quarry in PA about 1.5 hrs away. Not really worth a day trip while you are visiting from CA. Your best bet is to post asking for local ops. Some go out of Brooklyn, Jersey, and The Bronx but like evad said, getting to them is a hassle. Gear rental is also an issue here as many of the boats don't rent gear. What you really get is dive shops and some dive boats/ops and those two usually aren't the same company like you might find in The Keys. Local boat diving is done here, but isn't nearly as plentiful as boat diving in CA. You may also have trouble finding an op that will take you out around here, assuming that your dive count of 16-50 is correct, but you should be just fine considering you have your aow and dry suit certs. I have dove here and in CA and can report that while calm days happen here, they are far and few between. Expect darker and sometimes deeper and heavier current than in Cally. Ofcourse that depends on exactly where in Cally you have been diving, lol.

When I go to CA, I do go out of my way to dive, but it's worth it. Man I love it there!

Now if you had enough time to head up to Cape Ann, then I would say it was worth lugging gear and going diving. Cape Ann is alot like CA diving but it's also about 5+ hrs away by car. Frankly, the diving around here stinks unless you like it deep and dark and even colder than CA. Just close your eyes in the shower in your hotel and only turn the cold water on and you will save yourself time and money. Keep in mind that I may just be over it all and miss Cozumel too much. :D Good luck and have a great trip! My suggestion is to just see the shows and skip the diving.

Thanks for the honest answer...I have dove a few inland locations that friends tell me are great dives, but turns out they are only great if you like to look at mud and downed trees.

I guess the dream of diving on this trip is not going to happen. If you are ever in Cali we can meet up and dive in Monterey, or on the north coast. (and stop by a few wineries on the way back)

Cripes. I was about to buy a drysuit so I could go diving around here, and now I find out I have to buy a drysuit, AND a car.

http://www.wreckvalley.com/

Log on and somebody will be able to take you diving. A great bunch who know NYC very well. Maybe Richie Kohler is available to assist.

jmani:
So I am going to be visitint NY for 5 days in mid-june. I will actually be taking my wife (She is a drama teacher) to see 3 shows on or about Broadway. I thought (what is the married guy doing thinking for himself?) I had the trip pretty well planned. Well she told me yesterday she has a former student going to school in NY and would like to fit a matinee with her. Well I like to think of myself as a well cultured man, and I enjoy theatre, but 4 shows in 3 days is a little much for me.

Long story short (too late!) I find myself with a free day. Is there any dive operators or sites convient to midtown that would get me back to shore for dinner and a 8:00 show?

Thanks for all the help from tha CA diver headed to your city!

John
give me a pm if interested..you will need to rent some equipment and if you really want to say you dove NY my boat will be in the water. Welcome aboard as my guest.Its in LI sound ,New Rochelle 30/45 min from mid town by car.Vis can be from 6inches to 15 ft.., we go for lobster usually,sometimes wrecks...Its like fishing though,sometimes you do really good sometimes you make a hamburger when you get home:(..,for you to dive the ocean on the south shore it would be a 4am wakeup to drive to (closest to mid town)brooklyn and get the boat there for a 6am sailing,be there no later than 5:30am.Return at 3 pm ,between the early get up,boat ride and cold you will be exhausted and fall asleep at the 8 pm show..

A decent shore dive would be beach 9th street rockaway but two things to be considered, one i am not sure if diving is allowed anymore and without a car you can take the train but it would take you about an 1 and half hours and how far the walk from there is i dont know, might be too much trouble for nothing.

BILLB:
http://www.wreckvalley.com/

Log on and somebody will be able to take you diving. A great bunch who know NYC very well. Maybe Richie Kohler is available to assist.

Not sure if I am that caliber of a diver just yet. I do a lot of cold water diving on the west coast and love it. But wrecks are few and far between here. As it stands now I don't think diving is going to hapen. Lugging all my gear from CA to NY for a day trip without a car may not be worth it.

But as the trip gets closer I will make a more firm decision.

John

oly5050user:
give me a pm if interested..you will need to rent some equipment and if you really want to say you dove NY my boat will be in the water. Welcome aboard as my guest.Its in LI sound ,New Rochelle 30/45 min from mid town by car.Vis can be from 6inches to 15 ft.., we go for lobster usually,sometimes wrecks...Its like fishing though,sometimes you do really good sometimes you make a hamburger when you get home:(..,for you to dive the ocean on the south shore it would be a 4am wakeup to drive to (closest to mid town)brooklyn and get the boat there for a 6am sailing,be there no later than 5:30am.Return at 3 pm ,between the early get up,boat ride and cold you will be exhausted and fall asleep at the 8 pm show..

The early wakeup is not an issue for me...I am one of those people you hear about, the dreaded morninig person. And I function quite well early, and I am kinda chipper. I find this a deadly combination in the wrong crowd.

But I will keep you in mind as an option as the trip gets closer.

john

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom