Visiting Malaysia later this year.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're based in KL, right, John? I've scanned through some of your old posts and see that you really do have a love of Tioman. Have you been to Tenggol yet? If not, you might give it a try and see if you enjoy the diving. It's actually closer and easier to reach from KL for weekend diving than Tioman is, which was always an issue for me when I lived in KL. The long drive (or bus ride) down to Mersing on a Friday night, no ferry out at night, but only on the next day, the hassle of waiting for and taking the ferry, and the long return trip on Sunday night....Even after five years in Thailand, those Tioman road/ferry transfers dredge up less than pleasant memories. Note, too, that I was careful not to
classify the dives as good, better, best
but rather said that I like Tenggol better than Tioman. :wink: Yes, it's subjective, and it does depend to some extent on what a diver is looking for.

As far as Sipadan goes, well, since everybody that goes there dives BOTH Sipadan AND Mabul, I don't actually count it as more than one destination. That one destination has it all, though, which certainly makes it the most highly-regarded dive area in the entire country.

You're based in KL, right, John? I've scanned through some of your old posts and see that you really do have a love of Tioman. Have you been to Tenggol yet? If not, you might give it a try and see if you enjoy the diving. It's actually closer and easier to reach from KL for weekend diving than Tioman is, which was always an issue for me when I lived in KL. The long drive (or bus ride) down to Mersing on a Friday night, no ferry out at night, but only on the next day, the hassle of waiting for and taking the ferry, and the long return trip on Sunday night....Even after five years in Thailand, those Tioman road/ferry transfers dredge up less than pleasant memories. Note, too, that I was careful not to
but rather said that I like Tenggol better than Tioman. :wink: Yes, it's subjective, and it does depend to some extent on what a diver is looking for.

As far as Sipadan goes, well, since everybody that goes there dives BOTH Sipadan AND Mabul, I don't actually count it as more than one destination. That one destination has it all, though, which certainly makes it the most highly-regarded dive area in the entire country.

I like Tioman for a variety of reasons (friends and duty-free help keep things chill) and I've been there so often it does feel like a second home. The ferry schedule can create access problems, but since I'm usually coming up from Singapore or over from Melaka, I've got the timing down to a science and it's more convenient for me than getting to Kuantan or Terrengganu.

And I wasn't disagreeing with you that the diving might be more interesting in Tenggol. I loved it there, but I have only been there twice on quick trips (one and two days) and haven't had time to really get to know the dive sites well (something that comes with multiple dives in the same places at different times of the year). But, it's on my list of places to dive again this year. Which sites are your favorites? I liked Tokong Burung and Tokong Laut a lot.

Those two really are nice dive sites, but I haven't been back there since I moved to Thailand nearly six years ago, so I'll reserve my opinion for after my upcoming trip :wink:

Thanks for the replies so far. So far, it appears I'll be in KL sometime before the end of summer. If I'm able to dive, I would prefer whatever is closest to KL as far as traveling distance goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom