Visa??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mpalayan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am currently a new diver and a new member of scubaboard. Regarding liveaboards, is there a possibility where you will cross another country and you will be needing a visa?

Myk
Philippines

I'd say it's not typical, as most liveaboards don't cover that much distance. But certainly possible. In the Caribbean there's a lot of islands that are not all that far apart and are different countries, and a few boats with regular or occasional itineraries that enter more than one country. I don't know if there are any similar situations in the Indo-Pacific region - I'd guess there are fewer anyway.

I think the only time we have done that was on a liveaboard leaving from Grenada in the Caribbean, and traveling through the Grenadines to St Vincent. It was a long time ago but I think the boat collected all our passports and took care of it for us. We might have even been asleep at the time. (That's a situation where a visa entering the country is usually a stamp given on entry to most visitors, rather than something that needs to be applied for in advance. If that was necessary the boat would hopefully let you know.) The Caribbean Explorer which travels St Maarten-Saba-St Kitts would be one. There have been some boats that depart from the US (Florida) to dive in the Bahamas. The Cuan Law, which usually stays in the British Virgin Islands, occasionally used to do a special charter that went down the island chain and hit lots of places. There's probably others.

In Thailand you can have a trip that takes place in Myanmar and Thailand, but it doesn't just happen as the trip is geared for Myanmar and all the information is in the trip itinerary and notify divers when booking; they will handle the visas for the divers. There are also a few trips that depart from Singapore and go out towards Indonesian islands. Again if this is th case the companies will notify you of any visa requirements for the trip on their website or when you are booking the trip.

I am currently a new diver and a new member of scubaboard. Regarding liveaboards, is there a possibility where you will cross another country and you will be needing a visa?

Myk
Philippines

Myk,

It depends. You must find out the visa requirements of the countries your liveaboard boat will be visiting. For example, a liveaboard boat originating from Fort Lauderdale in Florida going to the Bimini Islands in the Bahamas will have to go through immigration when they cross into the Bahamas. North American passport holders do not need visas when entering the Bahamas. They are given a visitor permit to stay in the Bahamas for 'x' months on the spot. let's say you are on this same boat. If you are a citizen of the Philippines and travelling with a Philippine passport, you will need to apply for a visa to enter the Bahamas before joining the trip. You will have to do the same, i.e. apply for a US Visa before you land in the US to join the boat Fort Lauderdale.

In my opinion, don't take any chances. Don't ruin your liveaboard trip which was paid for by hard-earned money. Just get the necessary visas for your trip before leaving the Philippines.

Here is a of visa requirements for Filipino citizens: Visa requirements for Filipino citizens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps the best way to answer that question is that if your boat crosses from one country to the next, you will be subject to the same requirements you would have if you entered the country through some other means. If you enter a port in a new country, you will definitely be subject to the rules for entering that country. That said, the charter company should make you aware of any requirements about that, and typically handle all of that (passport, etc) before even leaving port with you on the trip. Not too many locations involve going from one country to another, but there are some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom