visa help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryc

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between Thailand, Alaska, Indonesia, Cos
# of dives
I'm wanting to come over in dec and do my DM and instr training on phuket. Ideally, i'd knock those out in a month or two and then bum around and try to find work, head back to the states in May. Free lancing after my IE has been suggested by my contact there. I'd like to see several areas of the country and also visit several others in SE Asia as well before returing home. However, i'm not sure as to how long i can even legally stay and such in Thailand.

So, how long can i stay and what visa do i need? I can do 30 days and 3 border runs, without any visa correct? What are my options?

Any and all help is much appreciated as i'm new to this game, thanks!

Get a 60 day tourist visa in advance. With 30 days and 3 border runs I presume you mean a visa exempt entry? because if that is the case, you can only do 2 border runs, and may not be able to return to Thailand for 90 days.
With a visa in advance you eliminate that problem, plus you also mwon't have any problems with your airline or immigration at the airport.

I would check again with your contact if I were you, because you will find it difficult to find free lance employment without a work permit, not to mention the risk you would be running.

The company that's doing your DM training and IDC should be able to help you get a 1-year non-immigrant B visa, which is a lot better than a tourist visa because the "non B" visa is what you need to apply for a work permit, if and when the time for that comes. Be advised, though, that even though it's called a 1-year visa you'll still need to do a visa run to the border every 3 months.

thanks guys, which of course leads me to a couple more....

Tourist visa is 60 days w/ 2 border runs totally 180 days???

looking at the visa requirements-To get a tourist visa, all i need is airline ticket copy or itenery? Would i be better off buying a ticket returning in say 55-60days for (visa application purposes) and then switching it for a later return flight once there?

ryc,

A tourist visa allows for 60 days, however, you can renew it one time at local Thai immigration for another 30 days. After that you need to get out and get 3 consecutive 30 day entry visas, which means, after each 30 days make a border run.

ryc,

Just walk over the border and walk back, that's enough, unless you need to apply for a Tourist visa again, than you need to go to Penang/Malaysia or similar locations with a Thai Embassy or Consulate and go through the process of getting a Tourist Visa.

Smartecosse, you write him a letter, so he can get one?

Thanks again

Got off the phone last night with a guy who is supposed to have papers coming to me for my non B...... hopefully just that easy, yes?

Which leads me to the next question.

Buying my ticket over and am unsure when should i book my return flight for? Should i just make it in May (when i actually plan to return to the states) or, do i make it earlier right now, say Feb or March, to keep immigration happy, and then switch it later once i'm there? With a non-immigrant B visa, i'm guessing it wouldn't matter, but thought i'd ask and have a better idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom