vis at fort ross

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JQuesada

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
anyone know if the bloom of plankton/algae has cleared from the weekend and what the vis is lookin like around fort ross, stillwater, timber cove, and/or ocean cove? thanks a bunch!

Justin

If considering ab diving I would make sure you know what the lab reports say the die off is caused by, before consuming any abalone. Last report was put them in the freezer and wait, but there doesn't seem to be a report released yet.

No idea on the vis reports.

From the Center for Disease Control:
How do red tides affect human health?

K. brevis produces powerful toxins called brevetoxins, which have killed millions of fish and other marine organisms. Red tides have damaged the fishing industry, shoreline quality, and local economies in states such as Texas and Florida. In addition to killing fish, brevetoxins can become concentrated in the tissues of shellfish that feed on K. brevis. People who eat these shellfish may suffer from neurotoxic shellfish poisoning, a food poisoning that can cause severe gastrointestinal and neurologic symptoms, such as tingling fingers or toes.

The human health effects associated with eating brevetoxin-tainted shellfish are well documented. However, scientists know little about how other types of environmental exposures to brevetoxin—such as breathing the air near red tides or swimming in red tides—may affect humans. Anecdotal evidence suggests that people who swim among brevetoxins or inhale brevetoxins dispersed in the air may experience irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, as well as coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. Additional evidence suggests that people with existing respiratory illness (such as asthma) may experience these symptoms more severely.

You could just try calling DFG?

i was going to call dfg. i was just wondering if there was a site that referenced these sorts of things in regards to our coast :p. Thank you for the info.

Justin

From the Center for Disease Control:
How do red tides affect human health?

K. brevis produces powerful toxins called brevetoxins, which have killed millions of fish and other marine organisms. Red tides have damaged the fishing industry, shoreline quality, and local economies in states such as Texas and Florida. In addition to killing fish, brevetoxins can become concentrated in the tissues of shellfish that feed on K. brevis. People who eat these shellfish may suffer from neurotoxic shellfish poisoning, a food poisoning that can cause severe gastrointestinal and neurologic symptoms, such as tingling fingers or toes.

...and death although, at this time of year, the botulism in mussles will kill you before the neurotoxins get a chance. My understanding is that abalone are not affected like other shelfish, so far it's worked for me.

The human health effects associated with eating brevetoxin-tainted shellfish are well documented. However, scientists know little about how other types of environmental exposures to brevetoxin—such as breathing the air near red tides or swimming in red tides—may affect humans. Anecdotal evidence suggests that people who swim among brevetoxins or inhale brevetoxins dispersed in the air may experience irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, as well as coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. Additional evidence suggests that people with existing respiratory illness (such as asthma) may experience these symptoms more severely.

If I'd known that I may have passed on diving Saturday. I was figuring on diving below the bloom but it went 20+ feet down in Stillwater. On the bottom you could see a 2' ring and on the surface I could just barely read the white lettering on my new gloves at arms length. I found legal abs but nothing I wanted. It is however, exciting diving into the black.

Bob
----------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Bob, do you know what is killing the abalone? So far I can not find any info on the whys. Just that they are dying as the red tide passes. If it was hypoxia wouldn't the fish be dying off too? At this point I wouldn't recommend anyone eat any kind of shellfish from the North Coast. FWIW I can't eat abalone, and am willing to leave them to the rest of you.

What really sucks is they were close to closing Fort Ross, or rather Reef, down to ab diving and this is probably going to push the closure to happen faster.

Oh well I am not getting in the water this weekend, and instead we are headed inland on a plane ride this weekend.

Got this email around 5PM today:
CDFG Informational Notice: Announcement from the California Department of Public Health, Division of Drinking Water and Environmental Management

31 August 2011

Sonoma Coast Red Tide - August 31, 2011 Update

During the past several weeks, areas along the Sonoma coast in Northern California have been experiencing a major red tide. The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) has collected samples of shellfish from the affected area and is analyzing them to determine if toxins are present that may affect human health. There have not been reported human illnesses associated with consumption of seafood within the areas affected by the bloom. However, the CDPH advises recreational consumers to be cautious and not consume seafood that may have been affected by the bloom. The results of samples collected by CDPH will be posted as soon as they are available.

The public is reminded that the annual mussel quarantine is in effect until October 31 for the entire California coastline. Updated information on quarantines and shellfish toxins is available by calling the CDPH shellfish information line at (800) 553-4133. Additional information on the CDPH Preharvest Shellfish Protection and Marine Biotoxin Monitoring Program is available at http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/environhealth/Pages/Shellfish.aspx.

For more information:

California Department of Public Health: Division of Drinking Water & Environmental Management (DDWEM)
California Department of Fish and Game, Health Advisories for California Finfish, Shellfish and Crustaceans: California Department of Fish & Game, Marine Region, Health Advisories for California Finfish, Shellfish and Crustaceans
CDPH Shellfish Biotoxin Information Line: (510) 412-4643 or toll-free at (800) 553-4133

Bob, do you know what is killing the abalone? So far I can not find any info on the whys. Just that they are dying as the red tide passes. If it was hypoxia wouldn't the fish be dying off too? At this point I wouldn't recommend anyone eat any kind of shellfish from the North Coast. FWIW I can't eat abalone, and am willing to leave them to the rest of you.

I wouldn't know of any relationship with their dying and the red tides.

I have noticed that the abalone on and around the reef do not grow as old (large) as other areas and the large ones found the shells are riddled with worms. My theory has been that the higher water tempatures and ecology on and near the reef produce more and more active worms than other areas. When a worm eats through the shell to the meat the abalone bleeds out, whithers and dies. The speed depends on the health of the critter. Red tides are brought about by higher water tempatures and sunlight.

I have taken abalone in the process of dying from a worm hit and the worm did not get into the meat. The meat is brown and shriveled in the area hit and the ab goes limp quickly after being removed from the water.

The ab's blood does not coagulate so any wound will kill the ab. That is why I gauge the abs before taking them and encourage others to do the same. You can put an ab back on the rock but, if there is even a small bar cut or enough of the mucus wiped off, predators small and large may get them if they don't bleed out first.

Getting off soapbox, packing it up, going about my business.

Bob
-------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom