Virus Warning....Please read!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
If any of you get an email from me with an attachment called Assumption, Do Not Open it! Aquadog got one so there may be others. I also am getting email notices that email can't be delivered...when I don't know the people these emails are going to!

I usually contact you guys on a PM but I do have some of your emails in my address book...if that's where it's coming from.

One of the not delivered emails was from DaBeast@TSDT.com It's as if someone knows us.

Anyway, I am clueless about all this and will be trying to find what it is and kill it. And Yes, I do have a current virus protection program on.

sorry if I infected anyone. :(

You might be OK, Dee, if you're sure your scanners are up to date.

I would venture to say that Dee doesn't have it, someone with her email address in their address book has it. Klez likes to spoof the email from field with another name from the infected users address book. This makes an uninfected, totally innocent third person start receiving email notifications that they "can't be delivered." and appear to be responsible for the infection.

The system I admin averages about 10-20 instances of Klez everyday.

Randy Joy is right, and we discussed this very thing on the management thread a while back. When it says its from you, it ain't! And it will use ANY subject and even include pics too! Its a hoot and a constant source of amusement.

So...if I haven't opened any of these emails or downloaded any of the attachments, I don't have the virus? It's coming to me because someone who has my email is infected?

I went to the Symantics web site. I searched my hard drive for every name of this virus that they listed. Nothing was found.

Please tell my I don't have it, just someone is trying to give it to me!

Doubt if you have it, especially if you've searched your drive.

Someone else has it, it just uses your name to send it out (it will be someone that has your email address in their contact list).

Dee once bubbled...
So...if I haven't opened any of these emails or downloaded any of the attachments, I don't have the virus? It's coming to me because someone who has my email is infected?!

A little bit of e-mail specifics. It's _very_ easy to forge an email, as all the 'fields' you see [From: To: Subject: etc...] are just parts of the data. The "From:" field will be used to return a message, but there is no way with the basic SMTP protocol to prove that the From: or Reply-to: headers are correct.

With that said, you can _easily_ send out spam and make it look like someone else sent it. So what many malicious spammers do is blast out their spam with it looking like it came from someone else, so at first glance, the mail appears to be coming from you.

If you've been careful about what your virus software, and are careful about which attachments you open, I am willing to bet that you don't have a virus, you're name is just being mis-used.

Thanks...I feel better now!

Ahhhh, so I see you never upgraded to "Girlfriend v2.0" - That Girlfriend v1.x will bring down the entire network everytime!

(This is a bit of a blast from the past for those old time geeks that were trading email before GORE invented the "Internet" - HAHA - sheeeet, that is a whole nother joke right there! )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom