Virus Alert!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Every now and then a virus hits that brings me new clients since they were not protected very well.

Even more rarely we get a virus that actually hits one of my clients.

Yesterday and today, I have had four of my clients call me with apparent infections. I have also fielded 6 other phone calls from now potential clients. The beast is rampant here in Orlando, and is called Backdoor.Zincite.A If your virus definition is more than a week old you are quite vulnerable. This attacks the services function of the OS.

Please update or install and update an anti virus program NOW. If you feel you have been infected please go to http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.mydoom@mm.removal.tool.html for an easy to use tool. The tool will NOT harm your system by running it.

thanks so much, it seems we get hit everytime, currently one computer is down from the last hit still waiting to fix it.

As a side note, spend a few minutes getting to know your AV (antivirus) software. The default update schedule is sometimes a week or longer. Set it to check for updates as often as it will let you. At the very least, daily. If you hear of a new virus on the news it is a big one. Update your antivirus manually as soon as you can.

Set your Windows to update automatically as well. Yes, it can create some problems, but it will reduce the incidence of virus / worms for everyone!

If you have a fast Internet connection (Broadband - DSL, Cable, etc), get an inexpensive firewall. Linksys, DLink, or the equivalent. They are easy to setup, and will help protect your data and your PC from worms. Usually tech support can help you configure it if you have questions.

I would say if everyone did the three things above we would cut out 80% of worm / virus attacks.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom