Virgin Wall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azsilver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone dove the Virgin Wall---I found this on a website.

"Virgin Wall - Due to heavy currents preventing local divemasters from bringing large groups of reef wreckers, this area remains pristine and lush. 2-4 different dives to see it all. 40-130 ft. (Advanced)"

What part of the island is this wall on?

Is this a good dive?

Waiting to hear!

AZ Diver

I did it last July and all I remember was that it was a really nice dive. I don't have my logbook here so I cant share any other details, sorry!

azsilver:
Has anyone dove the Virgin Wall---I found this on a website.

"Virgin Wall - Due to heavy currents preventing local divemasters from bringing large groups of reef wreckers, this area remains pristine and lush. 2-4 different dives to see it all. 40-130 ft. (Advanced)"

What part of the island is this wall on?

Is this a good dive?

Waiting to hear!

AZ Diver

Virgin Wall is a really good advanced dive. The best section of wall is 90 feet and deeper and the current can blow off the wall so you have to pay attention but like the quote above, it is still pristine.

It is very close to the dive area known as Punta Tunich. As I recall, it runs into what is known as Yucab Wall.

JK
http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/cozumel_diving.html

It sounds like we were close to the area as we dove Yucab Wall and Punta Tunich...Maybe someday we will dive this area too!

Planning our next trip to Cozumel

AZ Divers

mediakzar:
Virgin Wall is a really good advanced dive. The best section of wall is 90 feet and deeper and the current can blow off the wall so you have to pay attention but like the quote above, it is still pristine.

It is very close to the dive area known as Punta Tunich. As I recall, it runs into what is known as Yucab Wall.

JK
http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/cozumel_diving.html

more or less. The name "virgin Wall" was given by a divemaster a long time ago, but it is rarely dove. It is one of those sites that make people feel important because it's not "on the map." Personally, I don't think it's that great of a dive and it's very short because the top of the wall at certain points is literally hundreds of feet down, so there is not much divable area there. It's a "macho" dive that is more hype than anything else...in my opinion.

Christi:
more or less. The name "virgin Wall" was given by a divemaster a long time ago, but it is rarely dove. It is one of those sites that make people feel important because it's not "on the map." Personally, I don't think it's that great of a dive and it's very short because the top of the wall at certain points is literally hundreds of feet down, so there is not much divable area there. It's a "macho" dive that is more hype than anything else...in my opinion.

Thanks for the info, Christi. That's kind of the way I felt about Maracaibo, though I am sure that some will disagree. It was so deep that by the time we got a little way down the wall, we only got to drift along it for about 20 feet before it was time to go up. Now I can say that I've been down to 158 feet and one tick into deco, but I'll take Colombia over it any day.

BTW, we had originally been headed for Punta Sur Cathedral, but there were three macho dudes aboard who insisted on going to Maracaibo. They had been out until 4:30 am the night before trying to consume all the tequila on Cozumel, and were pretty hung over (and had no business diving at all, not to mention that deep, but I'm nobody's keeper). All three of them were sick afterwards and bailed on the second dive. We never saw them again; I hope they are OK.

ggunn:
Thanks for the info, Christi. That's kind of the way I felt about Maracaibo, though I am sure that some will disagree. It was so deep that by the time we got a little way down the wall, we only got to drift along it for about 20 feet before it was time to go up. Now I can say that I've been down to 158 feet and one tick into deco, but I'll take Colombia over it any day.

BTW, we had originally been headed for Punta Sur Cathedral, but there were three macho dudes aboard who insisted on going to Maracaibo. They had been out until 4:30 am the night before trying to consume all the tequila on Cozumel, and were pretty hung over (and had no business diving at all, not to mention that deep, but I'm nobody's keeper). All three of them were sick afterwards and bailed on the second dive. We never saw them again; I hope they are OK.

I LOVE Maracaibo and Maracibo shallows a/k/a Chun Chacaab. However, they have to be profiled just right to get the most from the dive. Maracaibo is a shorter dive, but you can extend the bottom time a little by moving over into the shallows for the last half of the dive.

Those guys on your boat would not have dove on my boat in that condition. I have a no tolerance policy with regards to hangovers and diving. It's true that my customers are certified divers and can make their own choices...however, I have policies as well. The choice is to party hard or dive hard...but the two do not go hand in hand. Don't get me wrong, a drink or two with dinner is one thing, but partying until 4:00 in the morning, and being hungover is a comletely different story.

Look forward to seeing you again Gordon! Planning your next trip yet?

I greatly enjoy Maracaibo Deep & Maracibo Shallow. You can extend the bottom times a lot by diving with a 100CF or even better a 120CF tank and by moving over into the shallows for the latter portion of the dive.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Christi:
I LOVE Maracaibo and Maracibo shallows a/k/a Chun Chacaab. However, they have to be profiled just right to get the most from the dive. Maracaibo is a shorter dive, but you can extend the bottom time a little by moving over into the shallows for the last half of the dive.

Those guys on your boat would not have dove on my boat in that condition. I have a no tolerance policy with regards to hangovers and diving. It's true that my customers are certified divers and can make their own choices...however, I have policies as well. The choice is to party hard or dive hard...but the two do not go hand in hand. Don't get me wrong, a drink or two with dinner is one thing, but partying until 4:00 in the morning, and being hungover is a comletely different story.

Look forward to seeing you again Gordon! Planning your next trip yet?

Yes, as a matter of fact. We penciled in some dates for next year with the hotel and the guy we fish with before we left.

Guess I'll maybe have to give Maracaibo another try some time, but what is the particular attraction? It's a wall, but there are other sections of wall that don't take such a toll in air consumption and nitrogen loading to get there and back. We didn't see anything on Maracaibo that we hadn't seen other places.

I made the decision many years ago never to burn precious vacation time nursing a hangover, and that was before I ever started diving. It was a decision driven by previous bad judgement on my part, of course.

Back
Top Bottom