Vintage stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evan9201

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had this stuff given to me from a friend of my dad who used to dive so i would like to maybe get some history and how much there worth.

1-Healthways scuba star with matching 2nd stage.

IMG_0053_1.jpg

2- N.E. divers INC with hand etched serial number.

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0059_1.jpg

3- Explorer 2 voit AMf, USA mfg.
IMG_0056.jpg

4- Dacore dive knife.
IMG_0052.jpg

5- French dive knife.
IMG_0047_1.jpg

6-Aqualung dual pack.

IMG_0046.jpg

The tanks look like old fire extinguisher-type bottles. I have a set myself from New England divers with a 1954 hydro date on them. As far as how much they are worth, throw them on e-Bay... that'll tell ya exactly how much someone is willing to pay.

The Healthways Scubastar was a rebranded US Divers Deepstar I.

They usually go on e-bay for under $50 - but are none the less cool vintage single hose regs.

The manifold has 1/2" pipethread valves. I have a pair of the same model but in 3/4" that were made in 1958 but were in perfect new old stock condition that I could not sell for $100 each, so I ended up putting them on my own sets of vintage doubles. I am guessing it would bring maybe $50.00 if it works and is leak free as 1/2" valves and parts are very hard to find.

I am not sure what the other two regs are worth.

I am not entirely sure when 3/4" valved tanks arrived on the scene or how long they overlapped with 1/2" valved tanks, but I do have two 3/4" manifolds that are dated 1958.

US Divers made their first single hose reg in 1957 and the Deepstar single hose reg was sold in the early to mid 60's as a lower range entry level complement to their higher end Calypso and Conshelf single stage regs. Healthways then sold the same reg as the Scubastar after USD sales ceased. That was a common practice at the time.

The Scubastar/deepstar is a very simple flow by piston reg that is easy to service with off the shelf o-rings. The seat is reversible in the rare event it needs to be changed.

Hi Evan
Good pics. I think if you posted on Vintage Double Hose or Vintage Scuba Supply - Antique Diving Gear Two Hose Regulators you would get the lowdown there if you don't have luck on SB. Seems to me I had one of the french dive knifes pass through my hands about thirty years ago. I used it for about 3 months and traded it off. I don't know for sure but I believe it was an Espadon-Tarzan. I could be mistaken but I think that is what you have. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

It was french and I believe it was made by the company that became Beauchat. It had a cast aluminum handle and was a pretty big knife. I have seen similar ones go on ebay for 30-75 bucks, depending on condition. I think the Voit reg is the best reg in the bunch, but I am partial to Voit regs, especially the double hose kind.

Hi Evan
Good pics. I think if you posted on Vintage Double Hose or Vintage Scuba Supply - Antique Diving Gear Two Hose Regulators you would get the lowdown there if you don't have luck on SB. Seems to me I had one of the french dive knifes pass through my hands about thirty years ago. I used it for about 3 months and traded it off. I don't know for sure but I believe it was an Espadon-Tarzan. I could be mistaken but I think that is what you have. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

It was french and I believe it was made by the company that became Beauchat. It had a cast aluminum handle and was a pretty big knife. I have seen similar ones go on ebay for 30-75 bucks, depending on condition. I think the Voit reg is the best reg in the bunch, but I am partial to Voit regs, especially the double hose kind.

Your right on about the French dive knife, I'm going to keep the dacore knife as my new dive knife, I'm thinking of selling some of them because I already have enough diving junk and I'm trying to raise some money for a rifle i want.

so if any of you guys want any of the mentioned items except the dacore dive knife make an offer and the piece of gear will go to the best offer.

Last edited:
The Healthways Scubastar was a rebranded US Divers Deepstar I.

It terms of the first stage only, or are the second stage parts (diaphragm, exhaust valve, etc) also rebranded. I know the scubastar looks different as far as the second stage, but if the parts fit I may be able to offer rebuild kits for this reg.

voit and N.E. divers inc regs are Sold, the heathways reg and french dive knife are still for sale. the backpack would only be for local pickup because of the weight.

Regarding the Beuchat knife. Can you post a photo showing the full blade, please?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom