Vintage Sportsways Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrakeAndrews

Reaction score
I'm anxious to dive with this vintage Sportsways regulator. It's in pefect condition except
it's missing the overpressure relief plug on the first stage. The plug was supposedly needed because of the tilt valve second stage. Will replacing the missing plug with a
downstream type octopus second stage make the missing plug redundant?

A properly adjusted downstream octopus will also work as a pressure relive valve.

Luis

I agree that a downstream second stage will work for overpressure relief. This regulator was never a very good breathing regulator, so I suggest that you do put a downstream second stage on it then dive it only in a pool. I tried this with the Healthways ScubaStar, which was my first single hose regulator as a kid. I found that it was interesting in the pool to use, but I'll never take it to open water again. But DO NOT simply put a plug on it and dive the regulator. This could cause the hose to rupture, or worse, if full tank pressure is allowed into the second stage.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom