vintage scuba diving at an english civil war bridge Part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How does that DH work positioned so high up like that?

Last edited:
How does that DH work so positioned so high up like that?

Wow, you got that right.
Rubberdiver, that reg is at least 8 or more inches too high to dive well, ideally the cans should rest between your shoulder blades and as close to your body as possible. The type of BP you have does not work well with DH regs. It places the tank and reg way too far off your back and does not allow the reg to be positioned low enough on the BP. Dropping the tank as far as possible on the BP will help and extending the straps to lower it more will help but replacing the BP is the best option. When properly placed, AL-80 will bump your legs and feel way too low. Get the reg correctly positioned on the proper back plate or harness and you will see a marked difference in how well the reg preforms.

Rubberdiver13,

First thanks for posting; that was an interesting dive site. Visibility may be limited, but just diving the site was great. I saw a falls upstream in the video, but I also saw what appeared to be a tourist boat going through. Is it on a regular schedule so you won't be in the water while it's going by? 'Hope so.

Concerning the regulator placement, I second what Herman and AfterDark said above. What I normally do is put the regulator on the tank, then pull the backpack up as high as it will go on the tank after I put the regulator on. Sometimes, the top of the backpack is actually over the lower portion of my double hose regulator when I use a single tank. I have a diagram which shows the difference:

RegulatorPlacementDrawing.jpg

By lowering the regulator, it decreases the "head" of water pressure that you need to inhale against. This is shown very well by Bill Barada in his book, Let's Go Diving (U.S. Divers Company, 1962, page 29):

single_vs_double_hose.jpg

Now, the big question is whether you saw any fish or not?

SeaRat

Yeah, I was wondering about the tank way up in the air like that.

While not important in the context of this thread, I prefer a much different trim than shown in the diagram. The fins and legs should be much higher. A rod drilled through the body and existing the knees should be horizontal. The knees should be bent to get the fins further up and away from the bottom, almost a head low trim.

In this trim, the importance of the position of the tank, fore and aft is reduced.

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom