Vintage Scuba Days In Italy 28-29 May 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trapezus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
13007137_1216874168330652_2054152298644394444_n.jpg

Siete tutti invitati a patecipare al Vintage Scuba Days il 28/29 Maggio, vi aspettiamo!

Pippo Capellano

Last edited:
For non-speakers of Italian, here's a rough translation:

Vintage Scuba Days on the shores of Lake Bracciano, 28 to 29 May 2016. Hydra Sport Village, Via della Rena 101 - Trevignano Romano. Meetings, workshops, screenings of period films, exhibition, sale and exchange of vintage underwater equipment. Admission free. An event organised by Pippo Cappellano, Stefano Ruia, Maria Cappabianca of Vintage Scuba Lab - PSS, collaborating with Andrea Balestri of Hydra Research. For information and to book exhibition space, telephone 339 6468335 or email hydraricerche@alice.it.

You are all invited to attend the Vintage Scuba Days on 28/29 May. We are looking forward to seeing you! Pippo Capellano.

If you know Italian, please feel free to improve this rendering. I visited Italy a couple of times in the 1970s, but I've never had an Italian lesson in my life. I've used my knowledge of another Romance language, French, to compile the translation.

Last edited:
I have many American friends who proudly proclaim they are Italian, yet not one can read write or speak Italian,

Some years ago, before the popularity of the electronic highway I was corresponding with the great Italian diver, inventor and industrialist Luigi Ferraro about his contributions to the development of the Rondine fin.

I thought that Luigi, like so many Europeans who were conversant in English so wrote in English and he replied in English . After several years he replied that he no longer had a translator and could I write in Italian? No problem ! I had a number of Italian friends only to discover not one could read write or speak Italian.

I trotted off with Luigis latest letter to the very popular and my favorite Italian restaurant " Luigi's" In Anaheim California. After waiting in line never ending line I finally was at the was at the podium with Luigi and asked if he could take the time to translate a letter for me while I enjoyed diner ? He took one look at the letter and loudly proclaimed "Metal De Oro ! " which meant nothing to me until Luigi explained that it was part of his letter head and he was a WW11 recipient of Italy's highest award for valor equal to the US congressional Metal of Honor ( UK Victoria Cross)

I was suddenly elevated from "Doc" to "DOCTOR MILLER" and never had to wait in line again....I was always greeted with "DOCTOR MILLER, right this way your table is ready !"

In 1987 "Frogmen's First Battles" by Schofield & Carisella (ISBN 0-8283-1998-7) was published which described in detail Luigi Ferraro's WW11 contributions which certainly earned him the Metal de Oro. I purchased a copy of the book and presented the copy to Luigi which elevated my status even further

Good times ---great memories of times past

SDM

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom