vintage rig almost complete!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The wetsuits with "dimples" might be "Sharkskin" or "Sharkskin II" by the old Parkways.
The stuff does get stiffer with age, they used to be one of the more flexible suits.
I had a 3/8" thick 1-piece (late '60s vintage) & the thing was pretty toasty with a 1/8" hooded vest underneath.

Allison, I tried once to repair and calibrate a DCP. I thought that I had completed the project, Yet, when tested in my homemade pressure pot the meter reading was way off. Apparently, the filter element won't work correctly when fed ordinary air. According to SOS, the bladder which acts as the pressure sensor must be filled with a secret gas, not air. I wonder what this gas is.

Congrats to those who have discovered/rediscovered the joyous freedom of diving with minimalist gear. Cousteau smiles on you.

mpittman:
ive test dove the above rig in stages , i used my standard weight integrated rig and used only the rocket fins and the old wetsuit today... geez how much weight does it take to get to sink in one of those dang two piece rubber jobs??? i normally dive 8 lbs with no suit 12 lbs with my 3 mil one piece.....i threw every hunk of lead i could find into my bc today trying to sink..... 24 lbs later i was barely able to sink and as soon as i took a lungful of air to clear my ears with... id ascend....... not to mention i couldnt get below the thermocline due to the buoyancy issues and i roasted alive in that thing even in the water......i think its time to hang that particular suit untill the weather demands it. oh and i felt like i couldnt move a single joint in my arms or legs while i was in it , had a hard time reaching down to my console without looking like a dog chasing his own tail haha . guess im spoiled with them super stretchy modern suits.
ill try the backpack and reg without the suit with my buddy tomorrow.

Pittman,
You need to come to Northeastern USA were we routinely dive 7mm wetsuits, hoods, gloves, booties, etc. Can't dive w/o them up in these parts!

Back
Top Bottom