Vintage first stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cyprian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey folks,

I'll be the first to admit that I know zero about older equipment, but I was talking to a gentleman that owes a local dive shop and he pulled up a bag of older first stages, some Scubapro and said he's been selling them for scrap and $1.75 a pound! Wow! My eyes got big and I told him, "You may not want to do that. I'm sure there are people that will pay you more than scrap prices for older first stages."

So, that said, I'm interested in hearing opinions on this. I'm not here to make any money. I could care less about that, but I know some people are looking for parts, etc for older stages. That said, let me know if it is worth this man's time to save these parts.

Safe dives,

Cyp

One can only pray that if he owns the shop he knows the difference between repairable and scrap!

Bottom line is, it depends on what they are and condition. Most SP regs are easily worth $25 to $75, a good condition MK-5 for example. A USD/AL Conshelf about the same. Some of the Voits are worth a good bit and even the common MR-12s bring $15 or so. Most of the Healthways, Sportways, Dacors and the like are in the $5 to $10 range. Still, it's worth selling them both for the extra money and to keep them from being scrapped. Once our diving history has been melted down, it can not be reclaimed. At $1.75/lb I think I would be interested in all of them sight unseen.

As far as the Scubapro 1sts, I usually think in terms of $30 for reasonably modern models. Some models, like the 2 LP port Mk5s are worth quite a bit less. Still, they all have well over $1.75 worth of parts.

How sure are you that he is not just pulling your leg?

As far as the Scubapro 1sts, I usually think in terms of $30 for reasonably modern models. Some models, like the 2 LP port Mk5s are worth quite a bit less. Still, they all have well over $1.75 worth of parts.

How sure are you that he is not just pulling your leg?

I walked into the equipment area where he was working just to shoot the breeze a little bit and he said "Sorry about the mess." As we talked he kept putting first stages in a bag. Not wrapping them individually as if he were trying to keep them but just throwing them in a bag. That's when he told me he was selling them for scrap and I told him that he might not want to do that. His wife was behind us and she said that he had already sold one bag full.

Now, keep in mind not all of these are Scubapro. There old dacor, etc in there as well. This gentlemen used to own a dive shop back in the late 70s, early 80s and I guess he kept a lot of stuff when he moved on.

He told me that it would be a hassle to find people to sell them to, but I don't think he realizes the power of the internet for that. I'll send him an email and ask about them today.

Put me down for 5lbs of Aqualung please :)

I've got an email in to him folks. I'll let you know if he replies. If not, I'll be back down there next week.

Back
Top Bottom