Vintage drysuit: Looking for the type and name.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joris Vd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Guys,

My mother dove in Germany as a rescue diver from the early 70s to early 80's . She used to have a two drysuits. One was a viking orange latex rubber one. She threw both of them away years ago because she didn't think she'd ever dive again or need them.
The thing is she can't remember what brands and models the second one was
I know this might be a wild goosechase, but I am sure my mother will keep googling endlessly untill she finds it elsewise.

What do I know about the first drysuit.

It was her recreational drysuit, it was completely blue except the boots and knees.
Her are some specific things she mentioned.
It was full neoprene.
The zipper had a zipper from the crotch to the back and to the neck.
Both drysuit valves were positioned at the nipples. So instead of having the second one on the arm both were positioned in the chest area.
She thinks it has to be a German, Swiss or Scandinavian brand.
She bought it early-mid 70s
I know it's a stretch, but I was wondering if maybe people with knowledge of vintage drysuits might know something considering the weird zipper and valves.

it was a Poseidon unisuit by the sounds of it

The Poseidon Unisuit drysuit ("Skin Diver" ad below from 1975) featured boots too thick to be accommodated in normal-sized fins:
z30kao7pbhygbq-jpg.182174.jpg

For the European market, which at the time showed a preference for full-foot fins, Cressi responded to the challenge with their "Unisuit-Fins":
rondine2-jpg.182175.jpg

unisuit2-jpg.182176.jpg

These fins were billed as shoe size EUR 50-52, which is approximately USA 15-17. Cressi didn't market its Unisuit fins for very long and drysuited divers resorted to open-heel fins instead.

The Poseidon Unisuit drysuit ("Skin Diver" ad below from 1975) featured boots too thick to be accommodated in normal-sized fins:
View attachment 442806
For the European market, which at the time showed a preference for full-foot fins, Cressi responded to the challenge with their "Unisuit-Fins":
View attachment 442807
View attachment 442808
These fins were billed as shoe size EUR 50-52, which is approximately USA 15-17. Cressi didn't market its Unisuit fins for very long and drysuited divers resorted to open-heel fins instead.

In a post I made a very long time ago, I actually showed a pair of C.D.E open heel fins from the brand NEPTUNE(the same guys who also did the Farallon and Oceanic fins) ? These are made somewhere mid 70s by the original taiwanese Chinese diving enterprise. These are the one supposedly used with the suit. Do you perhaps recognize where this original design comes from? I mean the jet-fin with no jet-type style.
21040818_10212409364540596_299275349_n-jpg.423802.jpg

The blade pattern is reminiscent of the fins made by Diveways Corporation of Japan, whose fin range can be viewed at DIVEWAYS(製品案内/フィン)−株式会社ダイブウエイズ−.
View attachment 442857 View attachment 442858 View attachment 442859
Thanks very much! I actually love this design. I've used these and jetfins before and always felt like they're basically jet fins where you need more power input, but also get more propulsion when flutter kicking. Might actually buy a pair if I find a way to get these to Europe for a more or less normal price

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom