Vintage 38cu.ft. scuba cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like it is but is it new manufacture or new old surplus. Need to see hydro date and any stamps on it. That said I wouldn't pay more than $25 unless maybe it was the exact cylinder I needed to finish restoration of a B-17 bomber.

Almost any old green 38's you see were ex navy oxygen bottles.Most had bushings in them.Most had original dates from the 40's.I have two.They are good for paper weights or display.I think the seller thinks his has gold in it.He would be lucky to get $20.The valve might be worth that.:cool2:

Last edited:
It came to my understanding that the vintage 38 cubic foot scuba tanks were originally oxygen bottles in air planes adapted for scuba diving.

Not always true. I have a pair of 1/2" tapered, Broxton RENE-marked USD 38s made in 1954. They're my favorite doubles.

I believe his target marketing group is aircraft restoration. Therefore $$$$$$$--$500.00?

Most surplus HP aircraft cylinders had a wire tightly wrapped around them as a precaution measure in case the cylinder was struck by a bullet. This does not appear to have that winding of wire.

Many of the diving companies marketed 38 cuft cylinders, however they seem to have disappeared and only war surplus ones have survived the passage of time.

SDM

It is described as new in the listing and no information is posted to qualify it as "old new stock" or surplus, which is a sublisting in their store.

Yes ZKY, the dude is on crack.

Bob
-----------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Back
Top Bottom