Vigorous exercise during surface interval?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In that order, marathon, dive? How bad was the case?

A marathon can't be called a "workout" it's what workouts are used to lead up, meaning it is on the extreme end of the scale.

Geez you'd think a marathon would be enough for one day!

OP make the dive and workout the next day, workout more or something. If you get bent you won't be doing much of anything but kicking your self in your own a$$!

Don’t remember which order the diving/marathon was in. Probably marathon first then diving. He went to a chamber. Don’t remember if he had Type 1 or 2.

Physiology and physics can’t be defeated by the power of positive thinking.

I know someone who ran a marathon and did a deco dive in the same day. Can’t remember which order. Healthy, fit early 20s. Got bent. Was fine afterward. Still dives.
Yikes! That's pretty extreme. On several occasions I've done 5K races and then gone diving a few hours later. But these were easy dives in our local mud hole, max 32' deep and usually around 45 minutes. And I was sure to rehydrate beforehand.

It's difficult to know if there was a connection between this guy running a marathon and then getting bent on his deco dive, since there were lots of variables going on. But running a marathon puts a lot of stress on a body, and physical injury is a risk factor for DCS. Hard to run a marathon and not have some level of physical injury and fatigue. And then there's the dehydration issue.

I’ve done enough endurance events to have an opinion.

Decompression diving in the same day after running a marathon is just dumb. Anybody whose head is screwed on straight would know they’re operating in the “zone of uncertainty” that Dr. Pollock refers to. I don’t have to have watched the video to intuitively know I’d be putting my body at risk of a hit after running a marathon.

Besides, what a pansy - real runners go for an ultra.

my suggestion will be to enjoy the diving with your son.. there are other days to train and work out.

Everybody says "dive"
Nobody says how deep

I do quite a lot of dives between 3 and 30 feet
Sports would hardly affect my health

If I dove to 300 feet instead, it would be a different matter

So, limit your depth. It is still diving and it is still equally enjoyable at six feet.

if you exercise before a dive....keep in mind.....your dive may go sideways.....are you going to be too tired to properly handle it?

god forbid something happen, and you need to swim your dive partner to shore....are you going to be too tried to do that at the end of the dive?

should something happen to you, and you become over exhausted, is your buddy capable of swimming you to the shore?

I'm trying to get in a dive day at the quarry with my son next weekend but I am on a training schedule for an upcoming triathlon. I've already taken too many days off and don't want to give up valuable weekend days, so I'm thinking I may take a long surface interval and sneak in a workout before or between dives. One option is to take advantage of the quarry to do an open water swim, like a mile or so, in between dives. The other is to run in the morning before the 3+ hour drive to the quarry. I can get my buddy to drive home.

Is this safe?

I've read that vigorous exercise can actually reduce bubble formation and DCI risk, but I'm also weighing the fact that diving makes you tired.

You did not say how deep you plan to dive? Are you pushing limits?

I am a triathlete. I work out every day. Just finished my 1.5 mile swim. Plenty of times on dive trips I have done a mile or more swim in the afternoon after morning dives with no harm and then a night dive afterwards. Survivorship Bias, dunno. But never been bent. Do I open the throttles, no, I just do an easy mile or so. I like to swim along the shore line in Cayman for an easy two mile swim. I might would avoid running or weight training.

I think if your body is accustomed to heavy, routine workouts on a daily basis, well, then you are a different sort of animal from the couch potato who decides on a vaca trip to go for a run for the first time in, oh, 20 years.

Go easy on the dives and go easy on the swim.

N

I'm trying to get in a dive day at the quarry with my son next weekend but I am on a training schedule for an upcoming triathlon. I've already taken too many days off and don't want to give up valuable weekend days, so I'm thinking I may take a long surface interval and sneak in a workout before or between dives. One option is to take advantage of the quarry to do an open water swim, like a mile or so, in between dives. The other is to run in the morning before the 3+ hour drive to the quarry. I can get my buddy to drive home.

Is this safe?

I've read that vigorous exercise can actually reduce bubble formation and DCI risk, but I'm also weighing the fact that diving makes you tired.
No, it’s not safe. Diving has its own exercise demands, and doubling up on exercise is setting you up for bad things.

SeaRat

@freedc , just to understand better, what kind of dive(s) are you planning to do? 1h at 10m/30feet depth or 2h at 30m/100feet depths? any mandatory deco? how close to the ndl?

EDIT: I just realized that @Nemrod asked the same questions; never mind :)

Back
Top Bottom