Vietnam: Halong Bay, Phu Quoc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cloudswinger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm going to Vietnam in Jan-Feb 2011, and we're going to Halong and Phu Quoc. Can anyone recommend dive outfits for the two locations? I think (my parents are planning most of the trip) we will be overnighting in Halong on a junk, and I did see some tour offering a dive where the dive boat met the junk and took you out to the dive site. I think I'm only going to manage one dive at each location, but I'd really like to get them in.

Hi, been diving Vietnam for five years and both locations will be a disappointment. Halong, if the operator is still in business.....CURRENTS with limited visibility, not much to see underwater, I had a look at the ops website and rang a friend up there...Local staff, cough "divemaster" cough, ( I got my card cheaper then you got yours hahahaha) is the highest rating you will find, basically forget safety, first aid training, probably no oxygen on the boat....Insurance included ? LOL....nothing is insured in Vietnam.....very generous 35 minute dives, probably because their compressor is such an old piece of junk it will not fill the tank to 200 bar....pardon my cynicism but I have seen far too much of it... I just spent $2500 on filters for my compressors and I know many local ops use Kotex. ( I am NOT kidding)
Phu Quoc, Most operators dive in the north, which is just not worth the time, unless you have nothing else to do. One operator dives exclusively in the south, there are two sites there worth a visit, turtle island and dry island.....but this operator is among the most dangerous in Vietnam. I have worked for most of the shops in the country and I am finally opening my own, on a much more beautiful island then Phu Quoc...come on over and see me on Con Dao.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom