Vieques with an MX-10, but no YS-40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soki-orb

New
Reaction score
New to the forum, couldn't find answers even though I've read through just about every post with "MX-10" in the title. I've also looked for the Liburdi book (The New Guide to Sea & Sea) but no luck finding it. Plus I'm leaving in a few days.

I have an MX-10, but no YS-40. Not sure I'll be able to find one to rent on Vieques. Assuming I won't, need some basic info. Plan on doing mostly snorkeling although I hope to get in at least one dive. I understand that most people are horrified with the idea of taking shots without the YS-40, but am wondering if the water there will be clear enough and bright enough to get away with it; perhaps there is someone who has had success with just the internal flash or no flash at all.

1. ISO 100 or 400? (Most of what I've read suggests 100).
2. Internal flash or no flash at all?
3. Assuming that I'll be getting in fairly close before I shoot, what aperture should I go with (w/flash choices are 4.5 or 11, w/out choices are 4.5, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22).

If anyone goes through the trouble to answer these rookie questions, I will be extremely grateful...thank you.

IMHO

ISO 100 will yield better shots with the built in flash.

Use the flash for shots closer than two feet at F11

ISO 200 will be okay for non-flash shots at more of a distance at about F4.5 and F5.6 depending on available light. ISO 400 will yield more grainy photos.

Back
Top Bottom