Vieques Diving????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skipraha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Evening All - I've been working on a Feb. vacation and have heard nothing but good things about Vieques Island off Puerto Rico. If the name sounds familar, this was the place the U.S. Navy used as a bombing range until the locals protested. :bomb: My brother-in-law and I need a place where we can dive and the spouses can sun. Cheap isn;t necessary, buit is a nice touch :wink:

Anyway, just want to know if anyone has been there and has any recommendations for Diving, Eating, Drinking and Sleeping. I've found some decent looking rentals, but the only dive shop I found was Blue Caribe.

I'd love to hear from you if you've been there or have any thoughts.

Don

Skipraha:
Evening All - I've been working on a Feb. vacation and have heard nothing but good things about Vieques Island off Puerto Rico. If the name sounds familar, this was the place the U.S. Navy used as a bombing range until the locals protested. :bomb: My brother-in-law and I need a place where we can dive and the spouses can sun. Cheap isn;t necessary, buit is a nice touch :wink:

Anyway, just want to know if anyone has been there and has any recommendations for Diving, Eating, Drinking and Sleeping. I've found some decent looking rentals, but the only dive shop I found was Blue Caribe.

Don

Haven't been there yet, but I should go, It's only $50 round trip ticket from san juan!

Just got back from Vieques. I wound up diving with Nan Sea Charters. check out www.viequesphotography.com and e-mail dave, he'll set you up with Chip and his boat Nan Sea. Dave is the instructor who dove with us in vieques. Chipwill take you out for $110 for a two tank dive... kinda steep, but dive shops are hard to come by in Vieques. Diving was great in on January 2nd.... 50-80 foot vis, huge grogonian fans, and healthy reef life. Snorkeling is good at green beach and garcia beach (on the island off the beach). We stayed at casa ladera and had a great time. Casa Ladera is a nice place and I would recommend renting this villa. There is also a Wyndam, but if you stay in a big hotel like that you might as well be anywhere, there is nothing "Unique" about it. Casa Ladera is up on the North Side, while Esparanza is on the south. The dive boats usually leave from Esparanza. Eat at Bannanas in Esparanza, and definitely check out the secluded beaches (We liked Garcia and Blue Beach). We also enjoyed the Bio-bay tour with Blue Caribe kayaks, although I would recommend not go with an outfitter, but just go out there at night with a snorkel and some booties to see the bioluminescents. Anyway, shoot me an e-mail if you want to chat more. Vieques rocked and I would go back in a heartbeat. richie_zinno@yahoo.com

Skipraha:

Don

We have been diving the BVI, USVI and Vieques/Culbrea for many years from our sailboat we keep in the BVI. If you have the chose between Vieques or Culbrea. Go to Culbrea and Little Culbrea, you will find the diving (marine life and reef) hands down much better than Vieques. There is only 2 dive operators there, both are great. Their boats need some TLC but great people. Off the island of little Culbrea there is a island that you can dive from one side to the other (long swim through). On the other side there are 2 caves that go up into the island. I've done that dive 32 times and I'm so excited just thinking about it. Just make sure you watch your air because it is a long swim around the island to get back to the boat. Air managment is a must. The side with the caves is always to rough to anchor. You will see sharks around the caves and tons of lobsters in the caves. The second cave is the most exciting. The spouses will fall in love with the beaches at Little Culbrea, their are No one living there but there are many trails and a light house to hike up to while you guys are diving. Have a great vacation...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom