Video with a P&S camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reusing your dessicant packs, eh?

Larry C:
Reusing your dessicant packs, eh?

I actually haven't used a dessicant pack in 5 years and never had a problem with any of my cameras or housings fogging 'til the camera sat in the sun one day a bit over a week ago. It fogged up bigtime that day and I've had no troubles since 'til yeasterday.. very sunny and the camera rinse bucket got quite warm. Few, if any, of my friends use dessicants either.

I live up mauka (up the mountain) and the house is much more humid than out on the boat. I think any sun or heat just brings the moisture in the camera out. I'll have to be more careful to keep things in the shadows, else it's time to invest in dessicants.

I have... got some dolphins one day.

friscuba:
I actually haven't used a dessicant pack in 5 years and never had a problem with any of my cameras or housings fogging 'til the camera sat in the sun one day a bit over a week ago. It fogged up bigtime that day and I've had no troubles since 'til yeasterday.. very sunny and the camera rinse bucket got quite warm. Few, if any, of my friends use dessicants either.

I live up mauka (up the mountain) and the house is much more humid than out on the boat. I think any sun or heat just brings the moisture in the camera out. I'll have to be more careful to keep things in the shadows, else it's time to invest in dessicants.
Read the manual for your housing, and you will find dire warnings about leaving your camera in it's housing out in direct sunlight. Not good... they're perfect little ovens.

Never leave your camera in it's housing in direct sunlight. A few minutes is no big deal, of course, but I wouldn't want to leave it for more than 15 without throwing something over it.

I've reused the same 2 dessicants about 50 times. Just wrap them in a paper towel and nuke them for about 30 seconds, several times. They're good as new.

Larry C:
I've reused the same 2 dessicants about 50 times. Just wrap them in a paper towel and nuke them for about 30 seconds, several times. They're good as new.

Man, that sure is cheaper than buying a new pack! I'm going to try it on my Moisture Munchers next time I use them.

My Fuji E900 is a lot of fun for underwater videos...

640x480 / 320x240 pixels
30 frames / sec.

I was amused by how much sound it picked up underwater besides my desicant bag rattling around. I love to share little clips of fishy encounters with friends and family. A great way to convey what it is like scuba diving down there to folks that don't go down!

And if the photo section was ever open on this board I'd share some here.....cough cough...

Check out the Cozumel wreck vid on my website. Shot with a Sea & Sea DX8000G.

friscuba:
I'm curious as to how many divers with the newer point and shoots ever even try the video function many of them have.

I picked up an Oly sp-350 and have been playing around with it. Today I shot a couple minutes of video. It was reasonably OK, the manual white balance even worked with it. It probably can't compare with a dedicated video camera for anything more than e-mail or basic web stuff, but it isn't bad if you aren't trying to produce anything sellable or viewed in large format.

Anyone out there use their video capabilities on their digi-cams much?

later,
Thanks for sharing; just got my sp-350 about 3 weeks ago and keep forgetting to try out the vid uw. Put a little music to it :D. I think with video.google.com you can upload more than 100mb.

Garrett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom