Video: Surgy Sunday diving at Pt. Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I now know why people pack macro/closeup equipment instead of wide :)

Steve and I decided to brave the 11-13ft swell predictions and see if we can make use of our reservations.

We arrived to find quite a few non-divers pulling up to admire the crashing waves of Cannery Point, but the cove itself and the east end by Granite Point really looked quite calm. Further, we saw Doc Wong gearing up with out-of-town visitors HBDiveGirl and Warren_L. So we suited up, commandeered Doc's float for our own tanks, and headed out to GPW. As we arrived, we heard scooters, slowed down and ran into Doc and the gang on their way back.

The dive itself turned out to be great. Visibility started out as a very nice 20-25ft, deteriorated a bit outside the cove, and dropped even further as we made our way back in. As visible in the video, there was quite a bit of surge, and on a few occasions we'd find ourselves moving nowhere for 4-5 kick cycles, only to be shot 20ft forward in a matter of seconds. Frothy fun.

[youtubehq]HDYf-_Q03iM[/youtubehq]

We headed back after one dive, while Doc and the gang jumped right back in to hit Shortcut Reef.

Great video. Your Flip HD videos keep getting better and better.

Glad that you made it out, and good use of Doc's float. Entrance looked messy.

First sharks, now bunnies? Man you guys have all the luck.

The power of the surge was quite evident in the kelp. Plus the ramp looked a little sporting.

My goodness, that surge was amazing!

The music made me think of THX 1138; I kept expecting you guys to rise to a spectacular sunset or something . . .

The subliminal bunnies, though -- if I find myself going through huge amounts of lettuce, I'm sending you a bill!

I saw the line, "Point the camera up there." and I thought, are there bunnies there? Subliminal bunnies are well and good, I suppose (certainly better than no bunnies whatsoever), but my heart asks as I drift upon swell and wave; Oh, bunnies, time is so sweet and short, would that you nibbled and scampered so freely for a few more mere seconds...

I was waiting for someone to post about seeing bunnies in the film, because I thought I was going crazy seeing things that weren't really there...

So now it's safe to post pictures of what I saw in Ken's film...

fvi4vs.jpg

30xit6v.jpg

8xmohz.jpg

I agree, nice choice of music, it really captures the tone. Did a few dives today in the same drama with Claudette and Warren. Dropped down to about 68, saw a curious harbor seal but no cute bunnies :).

Thanks Mike for making me crack up. I do believe you missed a couple though.
(Ahmm...the words scuba & "bunny" when searching google images can be a little distracting :shakehead:)
scuba_bunny.jpg

ds_11049_09_zen_v6.jpg

Check it out, this bunny has Kenn beat as it rides a scooter :cool3:
ScubaEasterBunny.jpg

Peter,

Dude you have me cracking up, that last picture had me rolling... LOL That bunny is Nitrox certified, take a look at his tank... LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom