Video Lighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BILLB

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last Christmas I broke the bank when I let Santa give me a Sony video camcorder. I also picked up an Ikelite housing. After one year of digital video taping and stills too, I really need a light. The neat stuff is on night diving!

I have looked at Ikelite models for 50 and 100 watt quartz but due to the color temperatures difference to HID, I suppose that HID would be better.

The LDS all have HID lights but they are primarily for cave/night diving. They say just put this reflector on and presto, a video light. No clue to how you could mount it, etc.

The HID video light manufactures are all on the profesional level and that mean way too much money. so, please let me hear your feedback and experiences with quartz lighting and HID lighting with recomendations.

Now if I could only figure out the video editing software my son gave me for my birthday........

Bill...there's a current discussion going on at DigitalDiver about using HID lights for video. There's also some good video guru's there who know editing software in and out!

All nice folks....feel free to ask anything!

Years ago I used an Ikelite housing with the 50 watt halogen light. The results were okay, but if you are like me, okay is not enough, especially if your videography skills are decent.

It is hard to imagine that HID lighting is so expensive, but it is so worth it! Yes it can take your video to the professional level if your camera and your videography skills are good enough to film that way. If you are not sure and if you want to find out what you can do at night, then go with the normal Ikelite system. The big downer of that, is they still use the monster heavy battery packs and they really make it a pain to keep neutral when filming. Also it will make your arms ache from trying to hold up all that weight and dragging it underwater.

The best way to learn to use video editing software, is to start out making nice short 1 minute videos and see how they turn out. Nothing can replace experience, no matter what it is you are trying to do.

Good luck!

I am JUST starting to get into UW video.
I have heard from MUCH more experienced folks that the UK Light Cannon (HID, around $160 I think) is a pretty good video light (when used with the diffuser), and a GREAT value too.
I already had a UK Light Cannon as my regular dive light (LUV it), so I will be trying this setup on my next trip (April).
Will let you know it goes...

Lights for night do not need to be as powerful as day since they do not have to overcome the sun. If you only want lights for night dives you have plenty of options less expensive than HID.

Back
Top Bottom