Video lighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerryn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was out this last weekend doing digital video. I did two dives with basically the same set up and the videos came out very different.

The camera -- Sony VX1000 / Amphibico VH1000 / Amphibico 135 battery w/ 2 50 watt halogen lights.

Dive No. 1: 150', vis 20', video came out great (well for me)

Dive No. 2: 95', vis 10', video came out green.

In dive No. 2 the lights did not seem to penetrate the plankton and even thought the wreck could be clearly seen -- at least within the limits of visibility -- the colors did not show up until I was nearly on the wreck and even then they were selective. The ambient light was better on Dive No. 2.

I'm not sure if the light tree was exactly the same on both dives, but it could not have been much different.

Any comments or suggestions?

Jerry

did you change filters between the dives? like remove the red filter on the 2nd dive?

jerryn:
I was out this last weekend doing digital video. I did two dives with basically the same set up and the videos came out very different.

The camera -- Sony VX1000 / Amphibico VH1000 / Amphibico 135 battery w/ 2 50 watt halogen lights.

Dive No. 1: 150', vis 20', video came out great (well for me)

Dive No. 2: 95', vis 10', video came out green.

In dive No. 2 the lights did not seem to penetrate the plankton and even thought the wreck could be clearly seen -- at least within the limits of visibility -- the colors did not show up until I was nearly on the wreck and even then they were selective. The ambient light was better on Dive No. 2.

I'm not sure if the light tree was exactly the same on both dives, but it could not have been much different.

Any comments or suggestions?

Jerry

The shallower you are, the less effective your lights. Reason is they have to overcome sunlight.

For example, use a flashlight during the day and you can't see whether the flashlight is on or off unless you put hand right in front of it. Later in the day it's easier to see the flashlight, at night you can totally see the flashlight.

I did not use a filter on either dive. I usually do my filming without much ambient light so I film without a filter.

The housing has two filters, one internal and one external.

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom