video lighting for Hero 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for a lighting system for my Hero 3. My questions are: how many lumens do I need? Will I still need the red filters? and can I just purchase a lighting unit without the trays and arms? (I've already got several sets fro still cameras).

Thanks,
Donald

I'd recommend at least 500 lumens for close video (withing 3 ft), double for relatively close distances (out to 6 ft)probably at least 2000 lumens for more distance. At night you could get a way with less. IF the shot is illuminated well by the light then you wouldn't want to use a red filter, the shot would come out too red. At night with lights no filter.

I use a dual 600 lumen setup and it works pretty well. I only use the lights for close ups and shots in low lighting (crevasses, over hangs, caverns, etc.).

As far as lighting units with out tray and arms, you can just buy the lights. There's Sola, Archon, etc. All depends on your budget.

Back
Top Bottom