video light reflector?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naimis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I posted a message on the underwater videography group but didn't get any responses. In short, how do you folks who are building your own video lights chose a reflector?

The reflector I used for my UV light was for more of a narrow-beam flashlight, but with a video light I figure you'd want a much wider beam.

Thats easy. Dont.
Dont use a reflector that is. Use an aspheric lens. They can give a very wide ( 70 degrees) angle with a very smooth even artefact free beam.
I am currently working on ( yet another) cannister light with a 44mm aspheric lens and a SST90 LED housed in a Mag lite. Im building it for a spot beam but for a wide angle video light all I have to do is change the distance from the LED to the aspheric lens. The LED can produce up to 2250 lumen making it near perfect for a video lighting system ( or half of one). Its also available in 5700 or 6500 deg K colour temp.
I am hoping to have a finished light head in a week or two so will post some finished pics then.

I haven't really done the research for comparison, but that sounds like a relatively "cool" color temperature. Wouldn't you prefer something a bit warmer?

That said, where do you shop for your lenses? I probably have this answer buried somewhere in the bits on my failed hard drive, but... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom