Video light batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkH

Contributor
Reaction score
I want to build a video light (with a halogen bulb, not a HID. Sorry guys.). I made one before that I've been using for awhile, but it runs off a 6-volt ni-cad camcorder battery and it's not bright enough (the bulb is 20W). I want to use at least a 30W bulb, but all the ones I find use 12V. If I take a bunch of NIMH AA batteries and wire them together to make a 12V battery, how long will this last in burn time before recharging? I want it to last at least a half hour (I don't have it on continously underwater). I'm also concerned about hydrogen build-up. I've used NIMH batteries in a camera strobe before and the inside pressure from hydrogen blew the battery cover off. Do I have to worry about explosion from the heat of the bulb?

It's all a function of the Amp-Hour ratings of the batteries, for the most part, regardless of battery type. A 20 Watt bulb will draw about 1.6 amps at a true 12 volts, or 1.38 amps at 14.4 volts (10 cells vs. 12). Most 12 volt bulbs will run fine, if not better, at 14.4 volts. 20 Watts divided by whatever voltage you want to use equals the amps required. A 1.6 amp-hour 12 volt battery, will run your 20 watt bulb for an hour, but only in a perfect world. The best bet would be to attempt to triple the amperage draw of the bulb in the amp-hour rating of the battery (1.6Amp x 3 = 4.8Ah) batter. That way you could expect a solid 2+ hours of light in varying conditions.

Charging quality is as much, if not more, important than battery quality. A high quality charing system will get the most power out of fair batteries. A crappy charger can not correctly charge great batteries, and may even cause permenant damage. Not something you asked about just an editorial note....

Batteries off-gas when charging. Many DIY canister light builders use a screw & O-Ring to seal a vent hole on the battery compartment during the dive, and remove the screw during charging & storage to vent and dry the battery box. As far as an explosion goes, a hot surface would probably need to be soooo hot. soft plastics and other things would be a first indicator. Some switches spark when they make or break, so if the light is not vented during charging, and your switch is on the battery box, sparking may be a consideration.

Hope this helps,

G

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom