Video Housing Plexiglass or Ikelite port?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I already asked this in DIY last week, but no responses. Figured it may be a good idea to ask here too.

I'm building my own video housing

Is there any real benifit to using a real lens post instead of plexi?

Will the image quality be much better?

I'd imagine that if I don't mount the port (at least with a dome port) centered perfectly in front of the lens that it would actually cause distortion, correct?

grunzster:

I'd imagine that if I don't mount the port (at least with a dome port) centered perfectly in front of the lens that it would actually cause distortion, correct?
Grunzster, I'm not sure what you're refering to. Do you mean actually having the wide angle adapter lens sealed to the front of the housing, so the lens element contacts the water?

If so, the optics are designed for contact with air; it will work terrribly (if at all). The refraction index of air-to-glass is part of the design. Just look at the the Nikonos 15mm, 20mm and 28mm, both of which are built to work with water contact (not air) so they are underwater-only* lenses.

I've never had a lens grossly misaligned from the center of a dome, so I can't say what the results would be, but it just sounds like it would look all whacked.

If you're using wide angle, a dome port is really the only way to go. If not, a flat port would sure be easier to align, as there isn't really an "optical axis" beyond having the port surface perpindicular. I've noticed that few consumer video housings have dome ports, though. It's possible the problems of flat are covered by the limited video resolution.Check here for a good reference between the merits of both.

If you were asking about the difference between domes that are mineral glass or acrylic, you will have opinions split about the advantages (or weaknesses) of each. I suspect you will find that those with the glass ports passonate about their quality, and those with acrylic think that glass is overpriced for little gain. Personally, I've found the greatest correlation between dome size and end quality. All my still housings have 8" domes and I'd have a 14" one if Aquatica still made them.

All the best, James

*The 28mm can be "cheated" into shooting above water, by setting the focus at a tad over 3'. This becomes infinity. Stopping down, for depth of field, will cover for not having exact focus.

No, I mean using a flat piece of plexiglass for the front lens of my housing vs. an Ikelite lens port.

When I built my housing, I used 1/2" plexi in front of the lens and I can't see any real problems with it under water. It is said that plexiglas has the same refractive index as water, so in theory it isn't a problem. The only drawback is that plexi scratches very easily. I can send you a small video clip so you can judge for yourself if you PM me your e-mail.

John

grunzster:
I already asked this in DIY last week, but no responses. Figured it may be a good idea to ask here too.

I'm building my own video housing

I used flat plexi (actually lexan) on my housing. It worked fine with an "as is" video camera. Even with the video lens set on "wide", there wasn't any noticable distortion. Of course, the lenses on video cameras aren't really all that wide angle. When I got a fisheye adaptor for the lens, it suddenly became very wide-angle and I had to use a dome port. I used a dome off an old marine compass. I'm sure it's not exactly centered with the lens. I didn't measure it with lasers or anything, but close enough is good enough for me.

There is nothing wrong with plex other than it is easy to scratch but then again it is just as easy to repair.

A flat port will be good for macro and possibly some standard focal length applications, but if you want wide angle you need a dome! Like Fdog, bigger is better and too much is just enough. what the dome is made of has less effect on image quality ( if any ) than its size.

BTW, Fdog, Aquatica made a 14" dome? I would guess that it was for a very old model.

Back
Top Bottom