Video Housing Idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsmith89

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm thinking about builing my own video housing mostly due to the fact I can't afford to buy one. My idea is to get a pelican case big enough to fit my camera (probably the 1400) and cutting 2 holes, one on each end. Then cutting 2 peices of 1/2 inch acrylic and using marine 5200 to seal these on the outside of the holes. This would give me a window to see the lcd and one to shot through. What are all of your thoughts on this? I figure I can just glue 2 handles to the outside to hold it underwater.

Pelican cases aren't necessarily waterproof at depth. They're designed to be waterproof in the elements or possibly floating on the surface. Plus I think you'd need a lot of weight to counterbalance the buoyancy of the air trapped in the case.

Why not do something with PVC pipe like everybody else is here.

Pelican cases aren't necessarily waterproof at depth. They're designed to be waterproof in the elements or possibly floating on the surface. Plus I think you'd need a lot of weight to counterbalance the buoyancy of the air trapped in the case.

Why not do something with PVC pipe like everybody else is here.

Yeah, what sjspeck said. I just finished up a can light made from PVC, came out awesome and about $500 cheaper than a Dive Rite.

PVC is your friend! Use a very large diameter round section with two end caps. Cut out viewing ports in the end caps and then drill and gasket your acrylic sheets over the end. Use a bunch of SS bolts to secure it porthole style and I think you would be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom