Video: GPW to Q-Tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone,

This holiday season has left me with fewer dives than anytime in the last two years. Wow, gotta make sure that doesn't become a trend. We actually tried a couple of weeks ago and were completely shut down by the Big Sur half-marathon, won't be making that mistake again!

August and I had Lobos reservations for Saturday, and it looked like conditions were going to be extremely calm, but for potential high winds. It was raining something fierce by the time we arrived, but the ocean was as still as I've ever seen it, with almost no wave action at all around Cannery Point. The new ramp is a joy as well, the park really outdid itself with that.

Lack of swells along coal chute meant it was time to head east, and we journeyed out to Q-Tip and meandered along the back of GPW. Viz was spectacular, about 30ft outside the cove and even better inside. We watched a nettle get skewered by hungry rockfish, and when we made it back to Middle Reef, we picked up a couple of additional buddies who insisted on swimming alongside us and nipping at our fins when we weren't looking. Viz was still 30 feet by the time we made it back to the ramp, and walking up that new ramp is almost as nice as walking down.

[youtubehq]Qqu-HO_z-xY[/youtubehq]

Thanks for posting that video. Great conditions and very cool creatures.

Good to see a sea nettle "getting his."

Thanks so much for the trip, Kenn!

4:37 : I love your harbor seals! "Scratch my chin!!!" wow!

And then the bunnies: "Dad!!! Gimmie the treat already!"

Storm-front diving. So great to see you guys diving during those magical hours.

Thanks for the fun!

~~~~
Claudette

Good to see a sea nettle "getting his."

Part of me felt sorry for the guy, (big one too, the bell was about a foot across), but the other part thought the same as you :) Think harbor seals might like cranberries too?

And then the bunnies: "Dad!!! Gimmie the treat already!"

Storm-front diving. So great to see you guys diving during those magical hours.

Heya Claudette,

Yeah, they were being extremely patient with me while filming the treats. Normally they'd get upset and start thumping the ground.

We got pretty lucky with the timing! Between the small craft warning and the rain on the drive down, I had my doubts :) But there's nothing like pulling up to the dive site and seeing flat, glassy water!

Such friendly seal buddies and fantastic vis.

Thanks for posting.

-Erik

There's a small rock somewhere just past Granite Point Wall... it has a clump of Metridiums... Team Bunny named it Q-Tip... The first time they mentioned it to me I knew exactly what they were talking about.

There's a small rock somewhere just past Granite Point Wall... it has a clump of Metridiums... Team Bunny named it Q-Tip... The first time they mentioned it to me I knew exactly what they were talking about.

Oh, we didn't name it. First I heard of it was from Cynthia, and she said the scooter folks used it as a waypoint for sites yonder such as Montana. It's definitely a placemark and not a dive site; more like Lone Metridium's snooty east coast cousin.

Chuck, it's as Ben described, a lone boulder about the size of a kitchen table, with a small cap of metridium. In the sand about 50ft west of the 100ft depth contour along the Granite Point Wall rock/sand interface.

Back
Top Bottom