video from my 11/2/13 breakwater dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
YouTube

Did the breakwater wall yesterday afternoon hoping to see mola molas. Easy entry. Visability 20-30 feet. Lot's of creatures but no molas. Octopus in the sand numerous, as was rainbow nudibranch. Saw a large slug that was new to me and don't know the name. Saw several vermillion rockfish I don't recall ever seeing vermillions at breakwater before. Saw a thornback ray in the sand at the interface with the wall It was still there on my return trip and I gave it a closer look and found it was hooked and dragging a foot of heavy line and a big sinker. I couldn't get the hook out but cut the line and sinker free. Hopefully the hook will rust out and it will be ok. Nearby I saw a conglomeration of at least 5 octopus all tangled together out in the open. I thought it may be some kind of orgy but then spotted a sinker and line and when giving it a tug learned that it was a baited hook and the octos were fighting to devour the piece of bait. My tug prompted the fisherman to reel up and I saw bait whisked away shedding octopus along the way. Out near the end of the jetty I was swarmed with sea lions doing their acrobatics. I have experienced this before here as it was expected but still a thrill. After leaving them and heading back I heard a couple barks and peeked back to see the whole gang right behind me as if to be saying "What you're leaving so soon!"

surfaced to sunshine
wonderful dive.

People tend to suggest that breakwater is an inferior site for beginners but it's top notch in my book.

yep, can't access it.....bummer

Beautiful dive! Didn't know there are rays at the breakwater. Awesome job helping him/her (do rays have gender?) out.

I have seen things at the Breakwater that I have never seen anywhere else. Thanks for sharing your dive :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom