Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To get back to the original post, would anyone here who saw the video before it was taken down be willing to explain the retrieving a dropped spool technique that a couple of posters said was neat? I didn't get to see the video before the OP removed it and I'm interested.

If I remember rightly, it involved loosely holding the line in one hand, holding the bag in the other, then clipping a torch (or other reasonably weighted object) to the line in between, then letting the torch drop and playing out the loosely held line. Like a pulley system, hopefully as the torch drops it will result in the spool arriving back in your hand. Then it's simply a matter of winding in the line and torch. I believe the idea is to prevent loose floaty line with potential for entanglement. Neat trick which I hope to try out some day, although it may end in tears if I end up loosing the spool and torch! :(

If I remember rightly, it involved loosely holding the line in one hand, holding the bag in the other, then clipping a torch (or other reasonably weighted object) to the line in between, then letting the torch drop and playing out the loosely held line. Like a pulley system, hopefully as the torch drops it will result in the spool arriving back in your hand. Then it's simply a matter of winding in the line and torch. I believe the idea is to prevent loose floaty line with potential for entanglement. Neat trick which I hope to try out some day, although it may end in tears if I end up loosing the spool and torch! :(
A double ender will work as well, and you probably have one in your hand as you stare at the dropped spool, questioning all your life choices.

It wasn't shown up close, but this is essentially correct. It is a technique that allows you to recover the spool in water without the risk of pulling up a lot of slack line and getting entangled in it. It is situationally dependent, but best course of action would be to put air and shoot the bag before getting the spool--less line to reel up, get the bag up faster so boat can find you, point of reference, one less thing in your hands, etc.

Once the bag is up, clip a light or weighted object to line and put one hand on the line above the weighted object and one hand below the weighted object. Move hands so that the line between your hands (essentially the part that is right in front of your face) is horizontal. Allow the weighted object to sag the line in the middle. The middle of the line will be pulled down by the weighted object and the slack (with spool attached at the end) will be taken up on the other side of your hands.

Don't you wish sometimes that the people that "fight" on these threads would have to duke it out underwater? Now THAT would make a good video!

Don't you wish sometimes that the people that "fight" on these threads would have to duke it out underwater? Now THAT would make a good video!
As long as the fight is conducted without breaking trim I don't see a problem. :poke: sorry, couldn't resist.

To get back to the original post, would anyone here who saw the video before it was taken down be willing to explain the retrieving a dropped spool technique that a couple of posters said was neat? I didn't get to see the video before the OP removed it and I'm interested.

It’s been explained well already, but this might help to visualize:

actuasll
actually i would like them to provide a video of themselves before any posts so they can be critiqued

actually i would like them to provide a video of themselves before any posts so they can be critiqued

That would get brutal extremely fast.

That would get brutal extremely fast.

At least I’d get more Instagram followers. I have no problem showing my videos online, even the ones when I was still in the process of balancing my sidemount tanks etc, which a lot of people loved to point out.

Sharing videos, even bad ones is a great way to learn and I think it should be more common among tech divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom