Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't get these folks that are showing sympathy for the OP where no one in the these pages of discussions had anything negative to say about the OP, everyone was discussing the instructor and the alleged standards violation(s) committed by this celebrity instructor, nothing to do with the student/OP.

Right. A diver was excited about a training experience that he enjoyed and got a lot out of with an instructor that he respected and was hoping to have an ongoing relationship with. So he shared his experience with us. Now he has been told by many people that his training was no good. More importantly, someone in authority said that the training that he got was so dangerous that instructor is going to be investigated for a standards violation by his agency. Can you see how that has something to do with the student? Can you imagine being in his situation?

Look, I'm not starstruck about JC, it's not a knee-jerk defense. I personally think that he is a great teacher, from my personal experience with two classes. While what he teaches is not the same as many other tech instructors, I am very grateful to have that teaching in my armamentarium - kneeling or not, he taught me lifesaving stuff. I understand the criticisms, and they are not without merit. I watched a good bit of the video, but unfortunately it was pulled before I could finish it, and maybe I missed something so egregious that it would change my opinion here.

But I'm with @chillyinCanada here. Not happy about how this went down.

I would like to point out that John Chatterton is a member here, and he could certainly chime in if he’d like. He is able to defend himself if he so desires, so any implication to the contrary is unwarranted.

I fully understand why he would choose to avoid posting here.

This isn't about Chatterton.

This is about the other instructors that had something to say and the way they said it.

Obviously we made mistakes, feel free to point them out to us and others here. Also happy to answer any questions about the experience or the dive.

Right. A diver was excited about a training experience that he enjoyed and got a lot out of with an instructor that he respected and was hoping to have an ongoing relationship with. So he shared his experience with us. Now he has been told by many people that his training was no good. More importantly, someone in authority said that the training that he got was so dangerous that instructor is going to be investigated for a standards violation by his agency. Can you see how that has something to do with the student? Can you imagine being in his situation?

He wasn't asking for a pat on the back and he is an adult. The folks that objected to parts of the training shown on the video are top notch people and at least one of them is an outstanding diver and instructor who is obligated by his certification to say what he said. The video shouldn't have been published in public in the first place but it was and there was no holding it back then.

You are wrong

I did explain it clearly a couple of comments below that comment. My comment wasn't about the OP's post but rather about the heavy marketing done by the instructor and his followers.

Can you give me an example of that?

Not being facetious, but even though I have trained with him, I don't hear much from him, he seems to keep a pretty low profile. He and Richie Kohler had the TV show, but that was over ten years ago. Richie seems to have been much more prominent in social media, I hardly ever hear from JC. Haven't seen him post here in a long time. I like the articles on his blog but they seem to end in 2013. He has a Facebook account, but posts very infrequently (much less often than Richie).

There are some big personalities in diving who are constantly blowing their own horns, but I just don't see that from him. If anything (as mentioned upthread), he seems to be open to learning, even from his students. Maybe I'm missing something.

Maybe, Mike but why does it matter anyway.

People advertise. Companies advertise.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Can you give me an example of that?

Not being facetious, but even though I have trained with him, I don't hear much from him, he seems to keep a pretty low profile. He and Richie Kohler had the TV show, but that was over ten years ago. Richie seems to have been much more prominent in social media, I hardly ever hear from JC. Haven't seen him post here in a long time. I like the articles on his blog but they seem to end in 2013. He has a Facebook account, but posts very infrequently (much less often than Richie).

There are some big personalities in diving who are constantly blowing their own horns, but I just don't see that from him. If anything (as mentioned upthread), he seems to be open to learning, even from his students. Maybe I'm missing something.

I lived in NY for over 20 years and owned a dive center there for over ten years and been in the business for all of my time there. It isn't one instance or one occasion. I can't now give you an example but it was something that was going on for a long time. There are certainly people out there with much bigger egos and do blow their horns a lot more even when they don't deserve it.

I lived in NY for over 20 years and owned a dive center there for over ten years and been in the business for all of my time there. It isn't one instance or one occasion. I can't now give you an example but it was something that was going on for a long time. There are certainly people out there with much bigger egos and do blow their horns a lot more even when they don't deserve it.

Did your dive center advertise?

OK, if you say so. I'm pretty involved in the local dive scene in NYC, and I never saw that. Hence my questioning of the use of the term "propaganda".

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom