Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy hell. Maybe I'm the a-hole, but I don't care how famous Chatterton is and how accomplished he it, but there is alot wrong in that video. Is this a PADI class-what the hell is with all the kneeling. That's just poor form. If the students can't perform an smb release without kneeling on the wreck, it shouldn't be done. I'm not even going to go into the metal on metal connections for the stage bottles (especially considering it's salt water diving where a locked up snapbolt or shackle is way more common than in freshwater).

I do appreciate the OP posting it. It was interesting, though too long to sit through without fast forwarding. I agree with what was said that some of the biggest names in diving aren't great instructors. If that's the type of diving Chatterton teaches, then I'd put him in that category. I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for my opinion, but just cause he has a big name and "it worked for him" doesn't mean it's ok to teach. An instructor should hold their students to the highest level. It's up to the student if they then want to dive on their knees after class. Don't teach it's OK

Two buddies and myself recently completed John Chatterton's Advanced Wreck diving course in Florida. As the final dive of that trip we descended to 165' on the wreck of the Hydro Atlantic. We penetrated the wreck in a couple places and ultimately made an ascent with decompression stops. Why is this relevant to you? Because I took a video of the dive and added commentary explaining what was going on! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7KXv885A8w

Obviously we made mistakes, feel free to point them out to us and others here. Also happy to answer any questions about the experience or the dive.

Thanks Zack,

That was cool. I am nowhere good enough to dive with John C.

[Slight Mod edit for equanimity in the thread]

markm

Where did I do that? I am actually soliciting his opinion and impression of the quality of the course based on his first hand experience in taking a course with this particular dive "luminary."

Really?

And what does this have to do with being a good teacher and for somebody like me to ask if he was a good teacher? I have dealt with people wrote the book or were in the process of writing "the book" in their subjects and were outstanding inventors and researchers; some even were Nobel laureates in sciences and their accomplishments were far greater and more important to humanity but they were terrible teachers. Their assistants were far better teachers than they were in dealing with students.

More power to him. Again, what is your problem here?

Negative? Where again please? Why don't you mind your own business?
You asked if the course “justified the “propaganda””. [Small Mod edit for equanimity] You could ask him if he thought he learned something new and if he enjoyed it, or if Chatterton’s reputation was deserved.

I seldom watch full videos of dives, but I really liked this one. I think the OP did a good job sharing his lessons learned while making the action coherent. Considering how many divers were traipsing through the wreck I was impressed there was so little silting.

Good job and thanks for sharing.

An instructor should hold their students to the highest level. It's up to the student if they then want to dive on their knees after class. Don't teach it's OK

Ya this. It's perhaps important to note that this is an "advanced wreck" course, so likely fairly novice divers. In the early portions of the video, several of the divers seem to be having trouble even controlling their buoyancy and crashing into the wreck. That might be acceptable on big steel wrecks, but up here, where the wrecks are ancient, wood, and fragile, that sort of behaviour wouldn't be well received.

I enjoyed the narration explanation.

Who's the big guy in the shortie suit? Was he in your class? He looks familiar to me.

Sorry Burhan,

Your use of the word "propaganda" in quotes, turned your comment negative and a bit snarky for me. Other than that, it was fine.

I see your point but I was referring to John's propaganda over the decades he has been in business not the OPer's post. I think that I clarified what I meant in my second comment:
Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

You asked if the coarse “justified the “propaganda””. How much more negative could you get? You could ask him if he thought he learned something new and if he enjoyed it, or if Chatterton’s reputation was deserved.

Good job and thanks for sharing.

Maybe the choice of the term propaganda was a little harsh sounding, but I know what he means. John Chatterton is famous and people want to take his courses because he's famous. He was trying to get the answer to how good Chatterton really is as an instructor. Sadly he didn't have to ask. You just need to watch the video.

Ya this. It's perhaps important to note that this is an "advanced wreck" course, so likely fairly novice divers. In the early portions of the video, several of the divers seem to be having trouble even controlling their buoyancy and crashing into the wreck. That might be acceptable on big steel wrecks, but up here, where the wrecks are ancient, wood, and fragile, that sort of behaviour wouldn't be well received.

They were diving doubles, doing decompression, and I suspect (or maybe just hope) they were using Trimix (I didn't listen to the commentary to know). So they've at least taken intro to tech and deco/adv nitrox. Those should put them past the excuse that their novices. There's no excuse for the poor skills in the video. If you're penetrating a wreck at 150+ feet, you should have your crap together. If you gotta kneel, then you ain't got it together. I am by no means perfect and there are some dives I wouldn't want people to see video of, but I strive to be as perfect I can be every dive be it in 20ft or 120ft.

Should we not first establish whether or not the kneelers are in the class?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom