Video camera capable of longest video duration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but why not change batteries every couple of hours? Are you really staying under for 5 hours straight? I would be one giant prune!

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but why not change batteries every couple of hours? Are you really staying under for 5 hours straight? I would be one giant prune!
You're not being a smartass. That is totally an option. I currently use an Intova which doesnt have batteries that can be swapped out. But if I make the switch to something like go pro, I could do that.

My only worry is that every time i open and shut things and take things in and out of usb ports that the connections and seals will get weaker faster. Is that not something I should worry about?

You're not being a smartass. That is totally an option. I currently use an Intova which doesnt have batteries that can be swapped out. But if I make the switch to something like go pro, I could do that.

My only worry is that every time i open and shut things and take things in and out of usb ports that the connections and seals will get weaker faster. Is that not something I should worry about?

Well, I don't think taking a GoPro out of a housing and changing the battery every hour or two is anything to worry about - other than the obvious of taking care not to get anything inside wet during the process, and inspecting the housing O-ring every time you close it, to make sure it is properly in place.

Also, you might have a look at the SJ action cams. Like this:

Ultra HD 4K 1080P Waterproof WiFi SJ9000 DV Action Sports Camera Video Camcorder | eBay

I read a few things about those here on SB and it sounds like they are decent and might work great for your intended purpose - while being super cheap if you do have to replace it.

Who is going to review and edit five hours of footage? Do you have an end-use in mind that requires that much video? There is a reason that television commercials are only 30 seconds long, and popular sitcoms are only 22 minutes long.

How about a refurb? A camcorder solution will be more expensive (2-3x+) but you get zoom and focusing among other things.

Here's one option I put together with a little googling:

Canon VIXIA HF G30 Refurbished | Canon Online Store - it will technically record up to 49 hrs. at the lowest resolution but the sweet spot for you seems to be with a 64gb card since it's right around 5-6 hrs. at the best quality. It's currently $600.

I think the bigger issue for you is going to be battery life though - the solid state models (no moving parts except the zoom/focus motor) still don't get that kind of use out of a stock battery. They do sell an extended-life battery but Canon themselves is out of stock - you should be able to find it on eBay possibly. Canon Battery Pack BP-828 | Canon Online Store No indication on how long it lasts...

Ikelite made a housing for it - discontinued last May. You can get it here: Amazon.com : Ikelite 6086 Underwater Video Housing for Canon HF-G30, XA20, XA25 Video Cameras : Camera & Photo It's $999. There's also a never used one in Used for $406 if you trust a new seller.

Note the little square box sticking out on the right side - that's a mirror so you can see the LCD. Also ask Ikelite if the extended battery will fit in the housing - some don't.

You might also look at the cameras (not camcorders) that Ikelite currently supports - many of them shoot HD video now also. Not sure if the battery life on any of them will be long enough shooting continuous video though. Here's one to check:

Canon PowerShot G7 X | Canon Online Store - $549 - records 8hrs. 20 mins on a 32GB card - you might ask if that's continuous though - some cameras have a record time limit. 1280x720/30fps is the same quality as a (cheaper) 720P HDTV. If you add in all the camera/housing combos from somewhere like Mozaik or Backscatter plus Amazon there's probably several thousand other options. Probably get last years model at a huge discount.

Ikelite | Action Housing for Canon PowerShot G7 X - $299

hth, kind of fun to figure this out. I haven't bought any new video gear in a few years.

Who is going to review and edit five hours of footage?
My daughter will be doing the editing. We will be fossil hunting nearly every day this coming July. Every night her job is going to be putting together a highlight reel of our finds. It's gonna be a lot of fun.

I recently cobbled together a similar setup to the one suggested by Diversteve. I use a Sony HDR-CX580V with an Ikelite 6038.55 housing. I purchased the camera used on Kijiji for CDN$200 and the housing new from Mozaik for CDN$500, which includes a UR/pro filter. I also added a 64GB SD card and an FV-100 battery from Amazon for around CDN$50. This rig has ample power and storage for a full day of recreational diving without having to open the case. Video quality is on par with a Hero 4 at 1080p60 but you have the further advantage of OIS and 10X optical zoom. I am very happy with it for the price and it has definitely upped my game as far as macro video is concerned!

Hey guys, I had a thought. Since I do hookah diving, I'm tethered to my boat via an air hose. There's no reason why I can't get a corded video camera and just bind the cord to the air hose. My air hose is 50'. So I just need to find a camera with a 50' cable that I can connect to my 12V batteries on my boat.

What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom