Video camera capable of longest video duration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbsolutJake

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys,
On the market currently what camera offers the longest video duration? I'm trying to find a camera that can go at least five hours, but I'm not finding anything. I'm starting to think I will just have to buy two cameras and cut the second one on when the first one's battery dies. But I'd like to avoid this strategy if possible.

Jake

You've got two problems: battery, as you say, and file size. What resolution do you want? Dropping the resolution would be the only way to get 5h on a card.

I'm curious what you (the OP) are going to do that requires continuous recording for 5 hours. If you really do have less than 25 dives, it's not going to be a 5 hour dive.

I'm curious what you (the OP) are going to do that requires continuous recording for 5 hours. If you really do have less than 25 dives, it's not going to be a 5 hour dive.
Lol

I use a GoPro....but never shot that much video under water or even ontop of water for that matter.

Are you only looking for a GoPro solution? One of the Canon Camcorders does 735 minutes at (I believe) 1440x1280 resolution.
Finding an extended life battery will be the challenge though - plus a special housing it will fit into. (the battery)

How do you plan on staying underwater for 5 hours?
If you're only placing the camera underwater for that period of time then there are options that will give a GoPro an extended battery life but at the cost of resolution.
Also keep in mind that if you're using lights there are very few that will last 5 hours on a single charge.

I do river diving. Often in less than 10 feet of water. So I'm able to stay out there all day essentially. But with the camera I have now, I'm only getting footage of the first couple hours. So, when anything interesting happens after that point, I don't get it on camera. I'm happy to reduce my resolution to get over the memory problem. So really it comes down to finding a dependable battery, which is where I'm struggling. I was looking at the go pro extended batteries, but it sounds like they only get you to the three hour mark. And if you go with the third party stuff, it's hit or miss. Either it's great and gets you to the five hours, or you get a lemon and it leaks. So that's where I'm stuck. Right now, I'm inclined to just get a couple cameras and just cut one on when the other dies, but that's sort of a last resort if I can't come up with something else. I have about five months before I will really need it, so I have time to think this through. But once next summer comes, I'll be diving A LOT, and I'm going to want as much footage as I can get. It will be the first summer my daughter is diving with me, and I don't want to miss a thing.

Thanks for all your help guys,
Jake

How do you plan on staying underwater for 5 hours?
If you're only placing the camera underwater for that period of time then there are options that will give a GoPro an extended battery life but at the cost of resolution.
Also keep in mind that if you're using lights there are very few that will last 5 hours on a single charge.
I use a hookah system which can go all day. As for lights, no, I won't be using any lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom