Video and Strobe Arm Arrangements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you clarify - the thread discusses multiple options? which setup is your fav?

One of you posts illustrates a gizmo that seems to attach to a ball arm clamp. Does it work with all clamps? Does it work with your clamp? Do you have a clamp close to your strobe?

This option is a non starter for me as I don't have a clamp close to my strobes. My strobes are on the end of a 6(?) inch arm, far away from a clamp.

I was a little confused in my post above about a "3 ball" arm. Turns out the gadget I was thinking of has 1 ball in the middle and 2 YS style ends: Double Strobe Head | SA8 Series | Arms | Line up | SEA & SEA

Thanks for the reply. The concept of having the video lights and strobes side by side (piggybacking each other) doesn't seem to be common and it seems to me would be a good approach. I'm wondering if there is a reason why it's not more common. Perhaps I'm overlooking something.

I prefer the use of loc-line arms, so this is the approach at the moment. Here is a photoshopped image I doctored to illustrate what I'm thinking will work. The original image had T-joints closer to the handles. I moved the T-joints to the ends of the arms where the lights would be mounted. The only thing that I can think of is the Sea and Sea YS-01 strobe and the FIX NEO3000DX video light would be rather heavy when attached to the ends of a single arm.

When photographing a subject, it would seem practical to have the video lights angled in conjunction with the strobes. This way I could immediately switch to video without having to adjust the video lights.

EGmIu9Pq.jpg

One good appproach is to add another ball somewhere on the arm. One good tool from Ultralight (Ultralight Control Systems) is the AC-ARM :
Hardware to fit into one of the triangles of the arm, giving you a ball
in the middle of your arm. On there Website, choose "Accessories" and look the last item at the bottom of the page. Good luck 😊

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I am currently using the video lights on the middle clamp of my strobe strobe arm configuration, which I use the multifunction clamp or a triple clamp. I've previously had them mounted on 6 inch arms with a triple clamp on the ball mounts of the tray handles, which worked fine, but I'm always looking at new ways of mounting and streamlining my rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom