Video: 1/5/10 2 Lone Metridium, Coal Chute Caverns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I joined Kathy at Lobos yesterday for what turned out to be another incredibly dive day. As has been all week, we were seeing about 20ft viz in the cove (you can easily see the bottom from anywhere as you stand on the bluff) but not too much better outside.

First dive was to Lone Metridium via Hole in the Wall. I led on the way out to show Kathy all the big navigation points, and once we hit LM, she led on the reciprocal back. We poked around Middle Reef to finish the dive. Not too fishy, but there was no surge to speak of, LM was in full bloom and Cannery Point Wall remained gorgeous. Calm days with respite from NW swells are great to poke around west of the sand channel.

After a much-deserved lunch, Kathy donned some big-ass doubles and we headed out for a fun, shallow dive for her to get more time in and fine-tune the setup. Coal Chute Caverns it was! We cut through Middle Reef, and surprisingly hit both caverns (I'm only aware of two, are there more?) almost dead on. The viz inside the larger cavern was pretty bad before we got there, but there were 2-3 harbor seals swimming in and out of it so I'm going to suggest that the seal kick isn't a proper non-silting propulsion method. On the way back, we hit 3-4 leopard sharks in the rubble between Coal Chute Cove and Middle Reef (that's where we've been seeing them lately), including a 2ft long juvie. Lots of Vermillions/Canaries, a Black and Yellow, and a China inside Cavern 1. Viz was still 20ft at the boat ramp when we ascended, and a submerged harbor seal interrupted Kathy's weight check by being adorable.

[youtubehq]0dttdhrqjcI[/youtubehq]

We are very familiar with seal kicks in Puget Sound! They hunt by dive light in the wintertime, and the team thus travels in its own personal silt cloud, when the water all around can be beautifully clear. I want to run a seal Fundies class. (Imagine a Fundies class where you have to pay the students -- in fish -- to show up!)

Great video Kenn! How is it that you attract so many leopard sharks? You carrying bacon?

They hunt by dive light in the wintertime, and the team thus travels in its own personal silt cloud, when the water all around can be beautifully clear.

"Associate seal dining assistant." One of the things that is definitely on my to-dive list!!

Great video Kenn! How is it that you attract so many leopard sharks? You carrying bacon?

Im still convinced its the pee valve and starbucks he has on the way down :wink:

Brandon,

If you look closely at his video at the end, he calls over the bunny and it comes on command... Could it be his new Authoritative parenting skills; firm discipline with affection, or simply carrots in his pocket... :)

The world may never know, some secrets are best kept quiet... :crafty:

Ken, your work just keeps getting better, I really like that large Leopard shark, big one at that...

MG

Last edited:
Kenn,

I couldn't have asked for a more spectacular day, dives & partner! Cavern's, Leopard Sharks, Anchor, Hole in the Wall, Middle Reef, Lone Metridium, nudi hunting, seals, calm water, clear vis, doubles, long dives, mellow entry - does it get any better? Thanks for the beautiful video & sweet music and the cute little bunny ;-)!

Thanks so much for showing me the path to Lone Metridium & for the relaxing dive with doubles & all the help. I hope to do it again soon!

I want to run a seal Fundies class. (Imagine a Fundies class where you have to pay the students -- in fish -- to show up!)

:rofl3::rofl3:

Great report and video. Love the captions!

Seems like you've seen leopard sharks on every dive this winter. I'm more than jealous.

Back
Top Bottom