Victoria Trip In May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcarter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I am returning to Victoria in May, this time accompanied by my first born.

Last time there, I dove Ogden Point, Henderson Point, and Albert Head.

I have a total of 21 dives, my son 16. Neither of us have done a drift dive, and this will be his first time in salt water. We are both OW, AOW is going to have to wait until after we get back.

I would like to do Race Rocks sometime during the week, so I am wondering who runs boats there during the week and can provide a guide. The Ogden Point Dive Centre Saturday trip is not an option for us - we arrive on Saturday afternoon, and the following Saturday have an event.

Any ideas / info welcome.

If you can get enough people, you can make renting a charter boat (i.e., with captain and everything) quite feasible with Ogden Point. Ogden Point Dive Center, Vancouver Island's Premier Dive Center located in Victoria, BC Juan de Fuca (for Race Rocks) appears to be about $500.

Pinnacle Dive Adventures has Race Rocks trips on both Saturday and Sunday for $120 (two dives). Pinnacle Scuba AdventuresDive Charter Booking - Pinnacle Scuba Adventures scuba diving charter Schedule is at the bottom of the page.

Just as a small warning, Race Rocks does often have a decent current, as I'm sure you already know, and it's often recommended that you do have some drift diving experience. There are likely going to be many sea lions there (the main attraction), so your son may be too task-loaded or distracted if that is his first dive in salt water. I'd recommend a couple of shore dives first, if possible.

A good drift dive would be Ten Mile Point, as the slack tide for the past couple weeks has been very calm (but I'd recommend a divemaster for that dive due to your son's experience). Henderson Point is not so good right now, but both McKenzie Bight and Willis Point are really nice under 30ft currently. Ogden Point is still pretty good. Dive Scuba Steve Home is a great resource!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom