Victoria Charter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonH20

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Oooohh, my wife wanted to know if there was anything "SCUBA related" I wanted for Christmas.

I don't even know what equipment I want (or should) get yet, let alone know specific brands and models to suggest at this point. I was planning on waiting on that stuff until I have several Puget Sound dives under my belt... Plus most of the stuff is so expensive, I'm not sure I want her to see the prices. :wink:

One idea I mentioned that she really seemed to like was getting booked on a charter boat up in Victoria / Vancouver. It would sorta be a gift for me that would also be a gift to herself (she likes to travel)!

So any suggestions on diving charters around there that would be OK for a beginning diver? Bonus points if we're staying the night in Victoria. Also bonus points if the boat is big and nice, and my wife can hang out on board in relative comfort while I'm diving. Time frame would probably be February / March.

Thanks!
Jason

JasonH20:
Oooohh, my wife wanted to know if there was anything "SCUBA related" I wanted for Christmas.

I don't even know what equipment I want (or should) get yet, let alone know specific brands and models to suggest at this point. I was planning on waiting on that stuff until I have several Puget Sound dives under my belt... Plus most of the stuff is so expensive, I'm not sure I want her to see the prices. :wink:

One idea I mentioned that she really seemed to like was getting booked on a charter boat up in Victoria / Vancouver. It would sorta be a gift for me that would also be a gift to herself (she likes to travel)!

So any suggestions on diving charters around there that would be OK for a beginning diver? Bonus points if we're staying the night in Victoria. Also bonus points if the boat is big and nice, and my wife can hang out on board in relative comfort while I'm diving. Time frame would probably be February / March.

Thanks!
Jason

Check this out. http://www.divingbccanada.com/ About an hour north of Victoria but 2 big wrecks and lots of diving options. My favorite charter operator.

JasonH20:

Have her give me a call. I love spending someone elses money (for a change). Lets see there is that new dive boat that you have to have, then there is the diesel truck to pull it and lets see what else - oh yeah, half a dozen tanks or so... :wink:

Lesson #1 for the new diver: Be careful what sort of advice you solicit on diver forums. It could cost you loads of $$$. :eyebrow:

Wish I knew about the Victoria thing, then I could actually help you out instead of tease you.

Sounds like your class is going well. Have fun.

Dave's suggestion of Nanaimo is nice ... but since you are (not yet) a new diver, I would recommend something a little less aggressive than the Nanaimo wrecks ... they're deep, and require an ascent that you're not yet ready to try. There are less aggressive dives in Nanaimo ... one of my favorites is Jesse Island ... but most charters would have people on board who came there to dive the wrecks, so you might be hard-pressed to find a charter that can accommodate your experience level.

There are some wrecks in Victoria that are also nice, and a bit shallower ... and even then I'd suggest more training before trying them.

There are some good dives in Victoria for the less-experienced diver, however. I'd recommend giving Ogden Point Dive Centre a call. Let them know that you're newly certified and would like some appropriate dives, and see what they recommend.

http://www.divevictoria.com/

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

2nd recommendation for Ogden Point Dive Centre. Their boat might not be attractive to the spouse while your underwater but downtown Victoria will probably make her drop you off and maybe she will remember to pick you up :)

JasonH20:

Thanks!
Jason

Ogden Point has two charter boats, the small one would not be very good for your wife
the larger one has a cabin where she could stay warm during the time you diving. the only problem with most charter is that they would be going to Race Rock or the wreck of the Mackenzie and GB Church which are both advance dive. But then they is tons of good shore dives in and around Victoria. the breakwater is a good beginner dive and there is a restaurant on top of the dive shop where your wife could wait for you.

cheers

AL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom